Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the best way to redo an interior on a 69 Malibu. Can you buy kits or is it cheaper, better and faster to let a shop do it?

Brian and sons in Philly.

·
Registered
341 Posts
If you want your interior to look original it's hard to beat buying an interior kit from a reputable supplier such as Ground Up Restorations. If you want to personalize your ride with a custom interior, then the local trim shop would be your next choice. You can install the headliner, carpet, and seat covers yourself, or have a reputable shop install the kit for you. Shop around for prices as not too long ago someone had a post concerning sky high prices for installing the seat covers. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
I am in the process of restoring a 70 Malibu. I decided on upholstry from PUI. Wherever you consider buying from find out who makes what.

I bought a PUI headliner, visor material, and front/rear covers from Ausley's. Still need the head rest covers. I did everything but the headliner.

Places that sell complete door panels use a plastic sill. Might want to consider unassembled, and use your sill, maybe farm out the work. Other than that, and new carpet, I think I am well under $500.00 right now.

Of course my dash & package tray was in good shape, as well as the kick panels.

Whatever you decide, I think recovering the seats, and putting in the carpet is doable yourself.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu
[email protected]
www.wright.edu/~s001dga/chevy.htm

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 03-21-99).]

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have done both my 69 Chevelle and 70 El Camino bench seats with PUI seat covers. I had never done any upholstery work but took my time and took a lot of notes as I took off the old seats and they came out very nice. There are a lot of good magazine articles lately to help you also. I would plan on giving yourself plenty of time and not be in a hurry. As for the headliner I did one for an El Camino once and would not try another. The $150 or so a shop would charge is well worth it. Carpets and door panels are real easy. My chevelle seats were black and are 5 years old and my El Camino seats were light blue and are 4 years old and both have held up very well.

·
Registered
101 Posts
pui panels are puffy. Check out local judges,most dont prefer the puffy style. distictive brand panels are more flat, which, according to some judges, is preferred. some pui colors look funny (different from original samples). I have had the best color luck with distinctive. good luck

·
Registered
127 Posts
Try Ted Williams or OPG. I don't know if the sponser of the site sells them or not but I would try them first and see if they can order them for you,send them an e-mail to see if they can help out. BTW I use distingtive and like it very much.

------------------
CRUISER

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.