Chevelles.com banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I pull up on the door handle in our '69 el camino there's enough "slop" that the door often doesn't unlatch. I had a similar thing happen to my '72 el Camino and found that the shaft that the door handle clips to had actually worn nearly in half where it came in contact with the mechanism. I haven't taken the door panels off but I suspect a similar problem. The only choice I had in the past was replace it with one I pulled of another Chevelle.

The questions...is there another fix? If not will any 68-72 a-body do? Any other years? Will one from a 4-door or wagon work? Thanks for any help you can be. :confused:

Skip

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is this the wrong forum for this question? I hope someone will be able to point me in a direction that might get me an answer.

Thanks,

SKIP

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Will do. In the meantime, does anyone have any input on interchangeability of these mechanisms or a source where I can find the info?

Thanks,

SKIP

·
Premium Member
9,801 Posts
I have gotten them from the rear door on a 4 door, as they have very little wear. I suspect the wagon part would be the same.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. Can I presume any GM A-body will do. And yes, took the panel off, the mechanism is VEEEEERY worn. I'll hit the boneyard this weekend.

Thanks again,

SKIP

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yep...there they are! I'm placing the order today. Thanks so much!

SKIP

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry, me again. I eagerly went to place the order, and the guy said they "will fit" but they're not the same and I'd have to do a modification that he didn't know about :confused: . He actually suggested I get a used one rather than buy a camaro mechanism. Soooooo...does this guy know what he's talking about? He's sells parts and would certainly take my money but it seems like he's trying to help me out. Is there, in fact, a modification to make, and if there is...what is it?

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
I have had a set of these for some time but hadn't installed them, today I did. They fit and function just like they were made for it. This is on an ElCamion but don't think the Chevelle is different.

The only difference I can detect is the Camaro units have a hole in the center of the post. These probably won't work on the 68 if the arm rest backing plates are used as they need a slightly longer post.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, that settles it. I'm ordering the Camaro mechanisms for my El Camino. Looks like I won't be reaching out the window to open my door much longer. Thanks so much.

SKIP

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Last time, I promise. I'm sure we're dealing with the "standard" door latch, but there are 2. One for the '67 only, and the other for '68-'69. Which one did you install? It looks like the mounts are in the same spot, but the "lever" seems longer on the '68-'69. Again thanks for your help.

Skip

1 - 12 of 12 Posts