Chevelles.com banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here I was, dreaming about my car, so I had to get up and ask. If this post sounds silly, forgive me, I'm half asleep. I figured I should post before I forgot. I plan to do the interior white with black accents. What parts are white and what parts are black? I know most of it is personal preference, but I don't want it to look stupid and I'm not an interior designer. I think for sure the floor and dash is black, but what about the doors? :confused:

·
Premium Member
744 Posts
If you are referring to the doors, they are usaully the same color as the outside of the car. Door panels can be anything you like but if you are sticking with the black dash i would use the black panels. Alan

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
wow you got up in the middle of the night and did a post. your serious about your car i guess if you have the money i would go to an upholstery shop and get some idears from them and see what the cost will be. myself i would stay away from white i keep thinking its more or less for older people who drives convertables down florida.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have some friends who say white would look like a "pimp" ride. Maybe I should re-think the white thing. It would also get dirty real quick.I want a color that isn't so common though. Maybe neon green......... :cool:

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
Marci,

NOTHING wrong with the white interior... I have had mine since 1994 ( the white interior that is), and its only needed to be cleaned once (mine is a convertible and had NO top at all until about 2002).

Although I would ONLY do white if its using factory type vinyl. Any cloth will likely get dirty quicker...

The white vinyl feels cooler that black vinyl seats. Its alot more unique than "black"...

Although mine is a 66, you could still get some ideas. I used the factory/repro "white" seat covers and door panels and painted the console white too. But, I chose to use Bright Blue carpet and paint the dash with the same bright blue paint that I sprayed on the outside of the car, blue dash pad, etc... Still looks "stock" but in a color combo never offered from the factory...

I think for sure the floor and dash is black, but what about the doors?
Not 100% sure, but door panels should be white, while the door tops (painted areas) should be black...

Too bad I moved or you could have looked at mine (I used to live in Redding/Palo Cedro and for a short time in Castella). Where at in Shasta county?

·
Registered
650 Posts
I was thinking about going white with my interior and vinyl top as well! Precisely because it's more unusual....and in my opinion, looks classy as hell!

However, my wife says I am not color coordinated and has to help pick what tie to wear with what color shirt. Still, I know what I like, and I think you should contrast colors, dark contrasting with light.

I am thinking on going with a dark blue paint scheme, and the white just seems to contrast nicely.

Steve

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think black cherry exterior with a white vinyl top and white interior would look SO sweet..

I live in the Redding area so I guess you (Tony) know all the local stompin' areas!!
I won't have racing stripes on it because it's not SS, but I really like the idea of dark and light contrasting colors..

·
Registered
4,964 Posts
Marci, the best bet at this time is for you to start hitting all the local car shows in your area this spring and summer. You'll get a lot of good ideas and you'll get to see some different designs that may help you with your own project. Take a digital camera along and store the photos on your computer. The owners of the cars won't mind. You might find a car with a custom interior that you like and all you have to do is tailor the colors to your liking.

I found several cars last year at shows with custom interiors that had patterns and designs in the door panels and seat covers that I liked. All I have to do is have something similar made in the colors I want.

·
Registered
443 Posts
My Camaro convertible came with a factory Ivory over Black interior with a white top. The interior has a black painted dash, black dash pad, black windshield pillar covers, black sunvisors, black kick panels, black console, black carpet, the top frame and underside of top are also black. The only things that are white are the door panels, rear panels, the arm rests front and back, the top piston covers, and of course the front and back seat covers and back of front seats. This is again a CAMARO, though I've heard the same description for Chevelles before.

It looks real cool and when it hits 115 here in Vegas, it feels a lot better than the black vinyl I had in my '72 el Camino. I'm looking to reupholster my seats in white vinyl w/houndstooth cloth. I'm thinking that will be even more comfortable, and might blend the black and white a little better as well.

·
Premium Member
17,413 Posts
I live in the Redding area so I guess you (Tony) know all the local stompin' areas!!
Ah yes, remember it well...

Lived there for 7 years (4 full time and 3 summers while in college) from 1990-1997... I used to work at Franklin Engine, spent many nights out at Clear Creek road, won some trophies racing at the Drags and even enjoyed Kool April Nights (won a second place at that show)... Met quite a few cool people up there, including a few into Chevelles... Great times...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts