Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i was able to spend a good chunk of last night in emergency. my wife was out back, and one of the dogs ran by her, she slipped on a wet garden hose and knocked herself out cold.

some interesting perspectives i learned last night. i find it incrediable that a girl with a sprained ankle needed three genrations of her family clogging up emergency.

i was amazed at how rude people can be to an overwhelmed hospital staff. the hospital was on deferral, because several of the local hospital's had been over run by yhe shear amount of patients.

i thought the doctor was kind of a bonehead, asking my wife questions she could clearly not answer in her state. at one point he comes in and asks her her name, she gives it to him and he tells me i can take her home, i turn to her and ask several questions, and get it's 1985, she's 22, and ronald reagan is president, i look back to the dr. who says he will order a catscan.

the hospital was so clearly overloaded, and the poor nurses running thier butts off, at one point a lady came in coded, and they had no room for her, i told the nurse to bring her in our room, i couldn't see the poor lady passsing in a hallway, she only lasted a few minutes and she was gone.

i went back out to the waiting area while they did the catscan, to hear prople bitching about very minor injuries, stuff most of us would have even gone to the hospital for, litrally several people needed bandaids.

some lady was sitting in a wheelchair, she'd had a very mild stroke, and was laughing and talking with everybody, comfortable and stable, but here daughter was throwing a fit and wanting her to bee seen first, and making a bunch of noise that she was going elsewhere, so a nurse who could have been better used elsewhere, was wasting her time trying to calm and quite this person.

when one lady complained that my wife was seen before her kid, she told her my wife had a real injury, and that her kid would recieve a bandaid for the scrap to his chin, and by the way, why did she let her kid try to boogie board in a pool??? that shut her up quickly.

anyway, people are people, and they are always interesting to watch in an emergency situation, the people who handle it well, the people who freak, and the people who stay clam enough to take care of you. one poor kid had sat in a hallway for hours with a broken wrist, so i grabeed him up and let him watch t.v. in our room, his father thanked me, and was genuinely concerned for my wife.

so... i didn't see any birth, but i did see some death, and a lot of injured people. it was interesting to watch how people cope, and see sometimes a kind word from a stranger could help, while they all went threw a tuff situation.... at one point a lady was walking out with tears in her eyes, iasked if she was o.k. she just grabbed, hugged me, cried hystically for a few moments, then looked up, said thank you, and walked out.....

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
My daughter, nurse, worked in the E.R at U of M hospital for a couple years. It's one of the major trauma centers in MI. My wife learned pretty quickly not to ask her about work. After a 12 hr shift she couldn't, wouldn't, talk about the things she saw and dealt with.

She did say she hated wasting her time on the drunks that ended in the ER from over doing it. She wasn't too sympathetic to those with self induced ailments. U of M home game weekends were always the worst.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
a lady i work with has a nurse daughter, now i have nothing against doctors, heck we all need them at some point, she came in recently and was on leave, they had a boy come in critical, she was told to treat him with a specific medication, she refused knowing it would be fatal, she ran for the head nurse, in the meantime he'd talked another nurse into administering it, the boy was gone before the head nurse could get to him.

these pressure situations, as all, show what people are made of. i try to stay as calm as possible. i know some people have a hard time with this, but i feel it's best for everybody involved. stay calm, take care of business, you can have the breakdown when the time is more appropiate.

·
Registered
4,030 Posts
Keep an eye on that concussion. I'm not going to type out my life story over the last several months, but trust me. If there is any way you can, get her seen by someone who specializes in these things. If anything weird starts, get back to an ER. Preferably one that specializes in head injuries. They can be "funny" things.

ERs suck. In our area, the ER in the high falootin neighborhood treats you like you are some sort of societal defective for having an illness that requires hospitalization, while at the one in the crappy neighborhood they treat people with respect. The crappy neighborhood one is closer anyways. We go there.

K

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
well, i was able to spend a good chunk of last night in emergency. my wife was out back, and one of the dogs ran by her, she slipped on a wet garden hose and knocked herself out cold.
Bill, Hope the wife is doing okay. Ditto on Chevello said, keep an eye on her. Wish there were more people like you that can take an objective view of their surroundings.
-Kevin

·
Registered
491 Posts
I work in a hospital as an x-ray tech just graduated this year. Man I would not be a nurse to save my life. It takes a special person to deal with what they do. I am 34 and truely suprised at what comes in the er. THe bandaid thing is correct. It is pitiful. Why come to the er for a cough you have had for 3 weeks in the middle of the week at 3am and them to not have the decency to take a bath in the 3 weeks. Enough on my rant I could go on and on and on.........

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
We have a new hospital a mile down the road and another one about 8 miles away.

You could go in there right now and possibly be the only one in the emergency room, the last two times we had to go we were the only ones in emergency.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Wow Bill

I hope your wife is okay.
That is an "interesting" night to say the least. Glad you were able to stay cool, keep your situation in check and even help others!:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
Bill, forgot to say I hope your wife is doing well. As mentioned keep an eye on her, she shouldn't be left alone for a day or two.

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
If they're not in the ER, they're in WalMart.

Reverse also holds true...

I do hope mama is okay!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
she's fine, after getting some good long sleep, everything was coming back, she is heading into the doc, this a.m. for a follow up, and then off to work. she was a little woozy yesterday, the morphine wearing off, but had a good appetite, and didn't have any issue with balance or memory.

hope you all had a great holiday.

you know, whenever something like this happens, you just have to think about how much worse it could have been. i get to work today, and a woman i work with, her sister was leaving a home depot this weekend, and one of the roll up doors came down and took her out. she has a broken hip, and head injuries. she'll spend the next 4-6 weeks in recovery, then a 4 week stay in a facility learning to walk again.

at least i got to take my wife home, even if she did think ronny was still president....

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
Having a total stranger give you a hug like that must have been quite something. Especially after the night you were going through.

Ill tell you what. After what happened to Billy Mays and that famous actress that bumped her head skiing last year (married to actor Laim Neeson, forgot her name) Natasha Richardson perhaps? Dying from what was thought to be a minor head injury (if there is such a thing). IMO, no head injury should be over looked.

The description you gave above sounds as if it came right out of an episode of Greys Anatomy. Thats one line of work I want nothing to do with. I dated a nurse once and she told me a few minor stories about things she had seen. Nothing to graphic but enough for a regular guy like me to thing, dang, thats crazy. One thing is for sure, you have to be a certain kind of person to be in that line of work.

·
Premium Member
5,687 Posts
My wife works at a Children's Hospital, currently she's a floater which means she's cross trained for ER/Cancer/Blood & Heart/ICU, and post-surgery. I don't ask other than how was the day. It is never happy stories. On the other hand, with my industry going tits up, I have been looking into doing hospital clinical support since I have some EMT schooling background. The pay is decent, work regular off hours so I can be home for kids to leave for school and in a stable industry that is always needing people around here.

Glad you wife is OK, but like said, keep an eye out for headaches, vision issues, mentally drifting, or noticing odd smells. My mom had brain cancer and those were things they said are affected by the swelling, though it would decrease sometimes effects still remain.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts