Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm running an Air-Gap intake and using .125 thick intake gaskets to make up for the head angle milling. I used Mr Gasket regular gaskets b/c the printo-seal types had the printoseal bead "fall" a little into the water port on the intake manifold. I used the regular gaskets and opened up the water port on them to better match the intake. Air Gap intakes seem to have rather large water ports???? I smeared a thin layer of RTV around the water port on each side of the gasket. Ran the motor, retorqued a few times. Now I notice a water leak around the one water port towards the front of the motor.

What do you suggest - RTV or not around the water port? And, do you think cutting the intake gasket larger allowed water to seep inside the gasket itself?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
I used that Permatex "The Right Stuff" , I heard it was the best. I ran a small bead around each water jacket, and a very light smear around the intake air ports also. I did not open my water ports at all, I used Fel-Pro high performance , its like a black gasket with blue seal lines around everything.

Dave

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Vince, I see the same thing on my BB. I use the thick gasket and RTV (Right Stuff) as well. Even when I remove the intake I don't see where the leak comes from. I have thought myself that maybe it seeps through the gasket, but I'm not sure. I usually just see a small drop or two sitting on top of the gasket, and usually only after it sits for a while, like a month or so. If I run it weekly or bi-weekly like during racing season, I don't see it leaking. Or at least I haven't noticed it. I don't know what to tell you other than I just wipe it off with a rag and continue on.:)

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Vince, I see the same thing on my BB. I use the thick gasket and RTV (Right Stuff) as well. Even when I remove the intake I don't see where the leak comes from. I have thought myself that maybe it seeps through the gasket, but I'm not sure. I usually just see a small drop or two sitting on top of the gasket, and usually only after it sits for a while, like a month or so. If I run it weekly or bi-weekly like during racing season, I don't see it leaking. Or at least I haven't noticed it. I don't know what to tell you other than I just wipe it off with a rag and continue on.:)
Mine was the same I saw it sitting on top right between the head and the intake, thats when I swapped out the gaskets and used the right stuff.

Dave

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm going to try and take pic, but it looks like the coolant is actually seeping within the gasket itself!

So you guys do suggest RTV around the ports? I was thinking of not using it, but I would bet that would lead to a leak as well.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I'm going to try and take pic, but it looks like the coolant is actually seeping within the gasket itself!

So you guys do suggest RTV around the ports? I was thinking of not using it, but I would bet that would lead to a leak as well.
I used the Right Stuff (always have) and still have a little seepage on this engine. And I came to the same conclusion that it looked like it was seeping through the gasket. Doesn't seem possble but thats what it looks like. NO indication of any leaking into the lifter valley though. No rust or discoloration of any kind. Wierd. :sad:...:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
After having recent trouble with one. I used rite stuff on the rails and regular hi-temp permatex (black) around all the water ports and block offs on both sides of the gasket. No leaks yet.BB intakes seem to be a little trickier than sb to seal up ?Also use a small amount of hi-tack or 3m gorilla snot to keep gasket in place when sitting intake down.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
I have the same manifold,.125 Felpro gasket and no leaks Vince. I am generous with sealer around the water ports though. I did not know till my water pump backing plate was leaking that permatex has a water pump and thermostat housing sealer also that is designed for coolant leaks. It fixed my w/p leak.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
Vince, my gaskets are Mr. Gasket as well. Maybe that's the key?

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey guys, just pulled the intake. Both gaskets totally saturated. The RTV around the water ports sealed like iron - had to really yank the gaskets from the intake/heads. I'm thinking the Mr Gaskets MAY be the problem, as I can squeeze the gaskets and coolant ozzes from within the layers. I have another set, so I'll give them another shot. This time, I won't do any trimming and I bought a can of the Right Stuff ($$$-ouch).

PS - the RTV on the endrails still didnt fully cure after 4 days, but no leaks there.

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We'll, just replaced the gaskets again (with the same ones) and used the Right Stuff. Lets see what happens.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
If it is oozing through the gasket material it seems you would need to seal the inside edge of the gasket also that is just not right. I am using fel-pro #1275-5 runner opening 1.82x 2.54 but does not have the upper bolt hole between the runners no vac or coolant leaks. I did put fake bolts in the manifold with sealer to eliminate that possability.

·
Registered
14,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi Mike, I actually did smear the inside edge of the gasket this time, onlt time will tell. I was looking at those 1275's on the shelf. I'll try them next if needbe.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
What are us street guys gona do when the 11.4xs come?

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
What are us street guys gona do when the 11.4xs come?
My goal was to go 11.4*, l like it when they say my car is too fast to race. When the rule was 11.99, I went to the IHRA tracks when they allowed 11.50. Now our NHRA track allows 11.50. I guess I will take more gear out of my car , that should slow it down. You have 3.55's, so 3.07's will slow it down.

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Oh the inhumanity of it all :cool:

·
Premium Member
6,427 Posts
well I use the rtv black gasket maker, not the sealer and I dont care for the high price of "the right stuff". I let rtv set up for two hours before adding coolent never had one leak.

·
Premium Member
9,522 Posts
Dave cheap super like Cosco is 4.09 more at name stations

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.