Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding a Chev 305 for my wife's 78 Camaro. I took apart the heat shield from the bottom of the Intake manifold to clean all the carbon out. My question is just exactly what is this on there for, and is it that important to put it back?

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
MalibuKid, I assume you mean the one on the underside of the manifold that's held by four rivets. It's designed to keep hot engine oil off the bottom of your intake and, therefore, keep the hot temps off the bottom of your intake.

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
yes, the bottom of the manifold gets hot where the exhaust crosses over and it will cook the oil that gets on it.
(edit) Gene you beat me by a whole minute I'm going to have to learn to type faster.

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 06-08-99).]

·
Registered
13,014 Posts
Let me add just a little something to the above. The heat shield is important and should be put back on only if your exhaust crossover is left open. The purpose of the exhaust crossover is to help vaporize the fuel before it gets to the cylinders when the engine is cold. Some people like to block the exhaust openings in the intake gaskets which prevents hot exhaust from passing through the bottom of the intake manifold. If you have this exhaust crossover blocked, then you would not need the heat shield.

------------------

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for your input. Putting this shield back on is not a problem, I am just wondering if these rivets ever work there way back out. Kind of like pulling a nail and driveing it back in the same whole. Maybe I will try blocking the exaust crossover like dzauto suggested. Thanks.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Does the 78 have the choke operator spring gizmo on the manifold? Blocking the heat will not let this work and you'll need a hand choke or something. If you have electric or something else, disregard my ramblings. tom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.