Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Refreshed the 496 recently, today I discovered it has a vacuum leak at the four unused intake mounting holes between the ports.

Dart pro-1 310 heads, edelbrock airgap intake, felpro 1275 gaskets. Gaskets were installed with gaskacinch to hold em to the heads, nothing on the intake side, little smear of hylomar around the water ports.

Are there different intake gaskets I should be using?

Planning on plugging the unused bolt holes and installing cut down bolts in them (cosmetics).

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
9,512 Posts
Sealed bolts fixed mine, like your suggesting.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,976 Posts
Is the intake manifold gasket surface FLAT and SMOOTH on both the head and manifold?

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the intake manifold gasket surface FLAT and SMOOTH on both the head and manifold?
Yeah, both the heads and intake were brand new when I assembled this engine a few thousand miles ago.

Today I machined some aluminum plugs to go in the holes and accept cut down bolts, going to fill the gasket side with epoxy and sand it flat. Flat and fully filled on the gasket side, fake bolt heads on the top side.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,976 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Hi Kory, fairly easy fix, see the photos below here!

Absolutely no welding or epoxying involved, aluminum round stock pressed into place! Not sure about using a bolt for "appearance" however, may cut down on the integrity some??

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. Lost track of how many we've done over the years mostly using the original BBC Strip-Dominator's on the aftermarket heads.

Reactions: kettbo

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As expected:

Pressed these threaded inserts into the holes:

Shortened four intake bolts, screwed them into the inserts (purely for aesthetics, solid inserts would probably be better).

Epoxy is curing on the backside of two of the holes, then it will be sanded flat.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts