Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably next weekend I will finally be installing my used performer manifold. I tried to use the supplied side rail gaskets twice when I first put the motor together and it has always leaked. So now I know to use a bead of good silicone sealant with no gasket, just use gaskets for the manifold to the head etc. The question is, How long should I let it sit before I can fire it back UP??? I will be using permatex blue. Letting it sit overnight would be a pain since someone has been using the car( This is always happening, no wonder the body is still shabby)
I am certian this has been a pain for many of you out there.

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
777 Posts
Not sure of how long to let it set, I knew once...but the mind is slipping. Fel-Pro makes a "Permaseal" gasket that is black with orange silicon sealant in the gasket itself. If you used the "Permatorque" (blue) gaskets, then that could be why you had a leak. The blue gaskets are too hard for the aluminum intake. I used the Permaseal on my 307 with an Edelbrock Performer with no complaints. Only thing that I added was a little permatex on the valley corners.
Good Luck!

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
'70 Chevelle
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
172 Posts
I would think the directions on the side of the tube would tell you how long to let it set up. ..................Joe

·
Super Moderator
12,832 Posts
Frank,
Being the careful type that I am, I always tell my customers to wait overnight. By the way, try the Permatex Ultra Black, I think you will like it better than the Blue. It is kind or hard to describe, but the consistancy is just better. It is very similar to GM's GMS sealer.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was going to use a older but unopened tube of the Permatex blue, upon further thought and the replys, thank god I didn't use it yet. I will look for the Permatex Black this week. I will probably do the swap saturday and fire it up Sunday AM.
I will never try to use the supplied side rail gaskets again. They would slide out while torquing the manifold, arrgh. The Felpro units that fred described sound promising, but I'll pass.

Frank

------------------

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
I've put silicone gasket sealer to the test just after the job was done. No leaks. Best bet though is to let it sit overnight with air exposed to both sides of the sealeant; shouldn't have any problems with that amount of set time. Good Luck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.