Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys: For a 396 with an aluminum intake manifold:

1. Can I replace and then torque the bolts one at a time be okay - I am not removing the intake, just upgrading the bolts. (I think so..)?

2. Do the new bolts need sealant?

3. What is the recommended torque value? Same as cast iron intake?

Thanks!

------------------
Ron Cook TC Gold Member #1276
1969 300 Deluxe HTSS396 69 300 Deluxe 325HP L35 69memorylane 1971 Malibu 2DR HT
"Supporting all car hobbyists, even those with different cars, is what being a true enthusiast is all about."

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,687 Posts
Ron, Sealant isn't necessary on a big block. All the holes are "blind". The '69 Chevy overhaul manual says 30 lb/ft, but many people say 25. I use 30.

------------------
von '69 300 Dlx SS TC #15 ACES #1575
My '69 SS

G

·
All the holes may be blind on "steel" rat heads but several on the aluminum chevy heads are not. I don't have my 049 heads here or I would look to be sure of the steel heads.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yo TieDyed_OnThe Highway:

I'm bein' serious for a second, so bear with me. You might wanna double check on those torque specs, dude. Here's why...I replaced the stock cast iron intake on my small block with an aluminum Edlebrock and used the Edlebrock fasteners that were included. There was a variance of 5 ft. lbs. between the stock and aluminum applications.

30'lbs. stock...........25'lbs. aluminum(per Edlebrock's suggestions)

I realize I got a wimpy SBC, while you have the manly BIG BLOCK, but I thought I'd post just in case. I wouldn't want you to scatter that mill before you got the chance to race me again.

FEEL the LOVE!

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Walter Zoomie:
I replaced the stock cast iron intake on my small block with an aluminum Edlebrock and used the Edlebrock fasteners that were included.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You got fasteners with yours? I didn't get no stinking fasteners with mine!!!

------------------
Eric Taylor
72 Malibu 350

·
Registered
120 Posts
Well, Gas Fiend, I'm old and feeble! I know I got some matching Edlebrock fasteners, but you may be right. Maybe they didn't come with the manifold. I musta bought them seperately. It's been a couple of years and many beers, you know?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.