Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on getting a new intake soon and I was wondering what you guys would recommend? I have a mild 406, larger than stock cam, headers, and some worked heads I might put on soon. The 400 is real torquey (sp!) down low (I can afford to lose some torque, 406ci&3.73's), but I want some upper end. So what do you think (dual v. single-brand & type)? Also a friend has an older Holley that he thinks is a 800cfm mechanical sec marine carb. I think 800 might be too big (I have a 600 vac sec now) but just wanted to know what everyone else thought. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
283 Posts
For "out of the box" bolt up, Performer RPM and Holly 650 double pumper.
Harley

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Kiknss, I'll only address what I'm qualified to. I run a 750DP on a 396 ( stock 325 hp with a cam and Edelbrock RPM ) and it's not too much carb. The 396 runs out of cam/headers at about 5850 or so. Assuming your rpm range isn't that much different the 800 isn't too big and the 600 might be too small.

My experience with a single plane was an older Holley Street Dominator on an LT1 clone. It really didn;t wake up until 3500-3800 which wasn't too good with a T350 and 2800 stall. My best luck was with a Z/28 GM dual plane. Nice runner. No low end problem and high end all the way past 6500.

Simply, if you have a 4 sp or lots of stall, the single is OK. Otherwise use a dual. The Edelbrock RPM seems to work decent on my little rat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does anyone have the GM part# for the alumunum Z28 intake. I can only find the cast iron one in my GMPPC. Want to check its price. Thanks

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
On my 406 I'm running a Performer RPM Q-JET intake on mine with a Brad Urban Carb Shop Q-jet also. You can put a Holley Square Bore on this intake also. Tons of bottom end and pulls to 5800rpm hard. If you really want to keep those Holly carbs on I would go with the 750 Double Pumper and the Performer RPM .

------------------
Malibu 307 (aka 406 smblk)
69 SS 396(aka 454)
Wolf in sheeps skin

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Kiknss, I won't check my GMPPC since you already did and it's not there. I see an ad all the time, maybe its PAW, in one of the mags for a Z/28 mani for like $90 or 119 or so.

BTW, I ran a Holley 780 vacuum and it seemed to be perfect for my revvin 350. I don't even know if they make those anymore!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 07-21-99).]

·
Registered
336 Posts
I just yanked off my boat anchor manifold for a used Edelbrock performer, gave a nice midrange boost, using a stock Qjet but still noses off about 5-5500 or so,
Even with my 305 the Perf RPM or even a Victor JR may be the ticket. Go with a 750 double pumper!

Frank

------------------

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.