Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a few sites and they asked if the car was original or modified. The ins quote was much higher for the modified.

question:
what is modified? how about original body, engine (except carb/intake/headers), aftermarket rims.

I do want to be near-original, but some things are very hard. rims, exhaust...

after all, how many cars can TRULLY be call original?

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Best bet is to ask the company you are cosidering. It doesn't cost anything and may save some grief. You are correct in that strictly speaking, most of our cars are 'modified' in some way, often making them much safer!
John

·
Premium Member
15,332 Posts
Hagerty - modified is something beyond wheels tires and exhaust. My Old Blue was close enough to original to be insured as stock.
American Collectors - Old Blue is close enough there too to be insured as "stock original". My pro street with the roll bar , blower, and tubs is modified.
Tell them it is close to stock and let them tell you it isn't. Most will go with what you tell them.
After sending in my pics to American Collectors the only question was about racing. They don't allow it and will not cover it.

·
Registered
14,536 Posts
On my 71 camaro, since it has a small block 400 and 71 camaros didnt come with 400 sbc's it was considered modified.
the 70 chevelle with a 454 was considered a original car, even though its a clone.
Theyre both insured for about 8000 each. and the price difference was about 2X for a modified. jim

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Tell them the truth but don't volunteer anything they don't ask.:thumbsup:
Agree, but be real clear on what they consider to be modified. You don't want to have a claim denied because they say you have a modified vehicle with stock insurance. Better safe than sorry. Saving a few bucks now could cost you a lot later on. I'm VERY conservative in this area and don't want any misunderstandings.
John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts