Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a result of two trucks colliding, metal pieces in the roadway caused both of our left side tires to blow out as I passed by. The previously perfect aluminum wheels are now damaged. I have obtained the accident report from the state patrol. The date and time on the report matches the date/time of the photos I took of our obviously damaged vehicle. The report shows the charged driver's insurance company and policy number.

It seems to me that I am ready to file a claim for two wheels and tires. However, when I visit my own insurance companies website it says I should contact them even when an accident is not my fault. I don't trust insurance companies. Question: Why should I contact them before filing a Third Party Claim against the responsible driver's insurance? Even if I receive no settlement I'm not going to file a wheel/tire claim against my own collision coverage. I don't want our rates to go up one cent as a result of my needlessly reporting this incident.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
well it would be considered comprehensive just like say hail damage or a rock to the windshield,or a wayward deer.BUT one thing i found out from my insurance agent.if i hit something sitting in the road it will not be covered under comp.BUT if said thing was moving when i hit it then it would be covered.i guess their thinking is if it is sitting in the road i should be able to avoid it,where if it's still moving your chances drop.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well it would be considered comprehensive just like say hail damage or a rock to the windshield,or a wayward deer.BUT one thing i found out from my insurance agent.if i hit something sitting in the road it will not be covered under comp.BUT if said thing was moving when i hit it then it would be covered.i guess their thinking is if it is sitting in the road i should be able to avoid it,where if it's still moving your chances drop.
Maybe I should add that this happened at night with no lighting other than our headlights. My attention was on the two trucks. I'm thinking that some people can have a tendency to be involved in accidents that are not their fault. Seems like this tendency would not be well perceived by their insurance company. Their rates might be affected. Seems that the companies would like to identify such people by suggesting that they report all accidents that aren't even their fault.

·
Premium Member
14,535 Posts
Contact your insurance agent, the insurance companies love to subrogate one another. I always call my agent, my fault or the other's fault, just to beat the other insured from saying I hit and ran. Protect yourself and good luck!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
Doesn’t matter if it was dark. If it was sitting still in the road, it’s your fault, if it was moving not your fault. Choose your words wisely. If you hit something at night that you wouldn’t hit during the day, you are over driving your lights.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Call your agent ASAP. They will want the other company to pay if at all possible. This could be a comp claim or road hazard on your own, they may be able to shift that burden away.

·
Registered
772 Posts
At least in Indiana, if you are involved in ANY kind of accident where a police report is filed, and you don't contact your insurance agent, you could have BIG problems. For one thing, your agent reports the incident back to the BMV, and and if it doesn't get reported, they suspend your license. A couple of years ago, a lady rear ended our SUV at a traffic light. My agent forgot to report to the BMV and they pulled my license for a few days until they could get it straightened out. NOT the kind of letter you want to get in the mail. Also, if the other insurance company contacts your company for information or about a settlement and they don't know anything about the incident, they get unhappy. I don't trust insurance companies any more than many of you do, but it's THEIR world and we just live in it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not to start any argument but in my opinion I was not legally "involved" in the two-truck accident described in the State Patrol's report. If the Sheriff's deputy that called for a rollback for our disabled vehicle had thought otherwise he would have said so.

Again, not to start an argument but in my opinion there can be no reasonable expectation that a relatively small piece of metal lying in the roadway at night can necessarily be seen and avoided using ordinary headlights while moving at legal Interstate speeds.

I'm a little surprised that my question as to whether I've gathered enough evidence to file a claim would result in some members hoping to place blame on me for the damage to our vehicle.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Not to start any argument but in my opinion I was not legally "involved" in the two-truck accident described in the State Patrol's report. If the Sheriff's deputy that called for a rollback for our disabled vehicle had thought otherwise he would have said so.

Again, not to start an argument but in my opinion there can be no reasonable expectation that a relatively small piece of metal lying in the roadway at night can necessarily be seen and avoided using ordinary headlights while moving at legal Interstate speeds.

I'm a little surprised that my question as to whether I've gathered enough evidence to file a claim would result in some members hoping to place blame on me for the damage to our vehicle.
All I was trying to tell you that at least in SOME states, if the police took down your information, you are involved, and if you don’t report it, you could be screwed.

Reactions: Shane 69 Hugger

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Even if I receive no settlement I'm not going to file a wheel/tire claim against my own collision coverage. I don't want our rates to go up one cent as a result of my needlessly reporting this incident.
Uh, I think you just answered your own question.

If it were me, I'd be happy I didn't cause MORE damage to yourself or your car.

I would suck it up, pay for my damage, and move on.

Reactions: Shane 69 Hugger

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Follow up:
I elected to send a letter to the company that insured the truck driver charged with the 2-truck collision. It described what I saw and experienced that early morning hour on an unlit I-75. I enclosed photos of our disabled Jeep coming down off the rollback in front of the nearby 24/7 tire shop. Also enclosed a copy of the 24/7 tire work receipt for 2 used tires to get us back home. Also enclosed photos of the blown out tire and wheel damage. And a copy of the State Patrol's accident report. Finally, from a Jeep dealer near home I had an estimate for two new wheels, tires, mounting and balancing. The only thing the adjuster would have liked to have had was a picture of whatever piece of metal it was that we hit. She understood how that was not really possible at night on the Interstate. From the time the insurance company had my information and payment 'demand' to the time their $2,600+ payment was in my bank was exactly one week.

Just yesterday I was having lunch with some old high school buddies and learned from one of them that the auto insurance companies absolutely do hold accident experiences against you that are not your fault!

·
Registered
708 Posts
He's in Forida

• Florida is a "no-fault" car insurance state, which means the insurance claim process is meant to be more efficient after a car accident, since your own insurance pays for your medical bills and other economic losses.
  • Your ability to file a lawsuit and recover compensation for non-economic losses like "pain and suffering" is limited under Florida's no-fault rules.
  • Required car insurance in Florida includes personal injury protection (PIP), which covers you and certain others, and Property Damage Liability (PDL), which covers damage to someone else's vehicle in an accident caused by you.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
I think traveler (the OP) came out better the way he handled the claim on his own than if he had filed a claim with his insurance company.
If there is a record on the Carfax regarding the claim, is it still worth the $2500 ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If there is a record on the Carfax regarding the claim, is it still worth the $2500 ?
Maybe you're loaded, I'm not. Saving $2,656.00 for a few hours of homework is quite satisfying to me.

I could care less about a Carfax reporting a couple damaged wheels. What I care about is not paying any more for insurance than necessary.

·
Premium Member
4,773 Posts
Maybe you're loaded, I'm not. Saving $2,656.00 for a few hours of homework is quite satisfying to me.

I could care less about a Carfax reporting a couple damaged wheels. What I care about is not paying any more for insurance than necessary.
Has nothing to to with being "loaded".

Accident claims on your Carfax record, among other things,

could devalue your car should you decide to sell it or trade it in.

Just yesterday I was having lunch with some old high school buddies and learned from one of them that the auto insurance companies absolutely do hold accident experiences against you that are not your fault!
Unlike you, I agree with your buddies.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts