Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of any type of insurance that will insure my car(or parts of a car) that is in the progress of being rebuilt. The companies I have talked to won't insure it until it is complete.
I know my renters insurance will cover the parts and pieces that are sitting around. What happens when I stick my VERY EXPENSIVE engine in the car next week. It is now part of the car, which can not be insured!!!!
I have an obscene amount of money just in parts accumulated, not to mention the car itself. If something happens as it stands now - I'm screwed. I sink every spare cent I have into my car and I cannot afford to lose what I've got. It's taken me 5 years to get what I have. I live for this car. It's ALL I do.
My neighbor was just burglarized last week, is the reason I'm in a state of panic. One of my other neighbors called me at work this mourning saying that they saw someone sitting in a truck scoping out the place. They called the police, but the police can't be around all the time, nor do they REALLY care. He was gone by the time the police arrived.
I'm heading out to the garage with my 12 gauge to guard my possessions!!!! Help!! I can't live like this!!!!

Thanks,

Jason Gore
AKA DragRacer
[email protected]

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm not exactly sure, but I think your homeowners insurance policy may cover it.If it is at home
Check with your insurance company.

Jeff

[This message has been edited by JSL (edited 11-23-99).]

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Does Hagerty cover "in the procss", I don't know, but they cover my car.
http://www.hagerty.com Check 'em out.

------------------
DG
Springfield, Ohio
70 Chevelle Malibu

www.wright.edu/~adams.6/chevy.htm
TEAM Chevelle Member #0086
Genx member (Founder 4 Ohio)
eBay username: dg98adams

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 11-23-99).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have had no problems insuring my project cars with State Farm Ins here in Michigan. They are insured for a stated value. I have not had to collect yet but I have a good sales rep who understands my situation and makes sure I am covered. I don't believe Home Owners Policies cover autos no matter where they are.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Just spoke to Hagerty's yesterday and they DO insure in progress cars like mine and yours. They asked me how much I had in it so far, quoted for that amount, then said when I am done, they will adjust the value and premium.

The premium for my stated value of $10,000 was still half of what my standard insurance was. Call them, 1-800-922-4050.

John Walker

·
Registered
659 Posts
I only have storage insurance on mine. It only costs about $20 every six monthes. I know it covers fire and natural disaster, but I dont know about theft.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I asked my homeowners insurance company the same question (in Michigan), how can I cover all of the parts I have in my garage and I was told that they cover up to $2000.00 and that's it..They don't sell additional coverage for parts not installed on a vehicle. You can increase the value of the building itself, not the contents. I also have Hagerty Insurance on my 72 El Camino and it was and still is in pieces...It's in body shop prison.

------------------
Team Chevelle Gold #33
ACES Member #02913
Chevelle Club of Michigan
Livonia, Michigan / USA
Rode shotgun in the ONLY Z16 convertible made.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Insurans is a FUNNY thing gand seems to change from one CO to another. let alone State to State. I have a detached Garage/Shop and increase the coverage on the initial 25,000 which was 10% of the state home value to 40,ooo. So I could cover more of the tools and contents, As for projects cars
Hageraty worked with me on mine and seem to
be adjustable as the project nears it,s completion.
Wayne Kline
ACES TC

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.