Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to go wild under the dash with a multi-meter and start checking all the grounds because after reading most of the electrical problems, most of them seem to be ground problems. Is there a single ground located on the panel? I have some electrical problems and today is my troubleshooting day. Thanks.

------------------
Mark
69 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Believe it's over by the e-brake cable but maybe I'm just thinking of the later ones. I don't necessarily subscribe to the "check everything" approach. What problems are you having?

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good morning John and thanks for the reply. I still have not fixed my fuel gauge and my wipers don't work. I thought it was the wiper motor, but after going for a long ride the other day, they worked for awhile. I have been following the wiper wiring post on the forum and I'll check the switch with a meter. I have already cleaned all the grounds on the motor. As for the fuel guage, I dropped the tank and everything seems to be OK there, now I'll start under the dash. I did not get started before because I had to walk away from it for awhile if you know what I mean. Again, thanks for the reply and I'll update you on my progress

------------------
Mark
69 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
"I have been following the wiper wiring post on the forum and I'll check the switch with a meter."

While you have the switch out, disconnect the connector(s) on the motor and washer. Using a long piece of wire with some clip leads, measure continuity between the motor connector and the switch connector. See if a line is open or real high. Check the switch ground wire.

"As for the fuel guage, I dropped the tank and everything seems to be OK there, now I'll start under the dash."

If you have gas in the tank, maybe a ¼ tank or better, grounding the tan wire drives the fuel gage to empty. Maybe try that using a jumper under the dash or under the car.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
The 69-dash cluster ground is at the top left-hand screw for the plastic dash just above the wiper switch. The metal ground strip is sandwiched between the dash plastic and the metal dash frame.

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I replaced the wiper motor and its good to go. However, I was installing my license plate light and checking pigtails and found my tan wire for the fuel gauge was plugged into the license plate pigtail. Gauge still doesn't work, but at least now I'm 99% sure its at least wired correctly. Thanks again.

------------------
Mark
69 Chevelle SS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts