Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am putting my instrument panel and gauges back in my car 70 SS Chevelle, with gauges, but the gauges go goofy when I turn on the light switch.

When I turn on the car, everything is fine, as long as lights are off. All gauges work but when the light switch is on, lights on dash don't come on, tach goes to 0 and fuel gauge goes to 9 o'clock in it's dial, and the Amp meter goes to a negative reading.

Has anyone experienced this before on their car? If so, can you give me some advice on how you fixed the problem?

Kent :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
It's likely a cluster ground problem. Check that the harness grounds are correct. The harness has three black ground wires that connect as follows.

The longest one attaches at the parking brake bracket. The other two attach here and here.

The assembly manual shows the cluster ground wire attached at the clock either place works.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Elree Colby:
It's likely a cluster ground problem. Check that the harness grounds are correct. The harness has three black ground wires that connect as follows.

The longest one attaches at the parking brake bracket. The other two attach here and here.

The assembly manual shows the cluster ground wire attached at the clock either place works.
Thank you very much for the advice. I reset the positions of the ground wires and everything works now. I think the wire to the instrument panel was the key.

Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts