Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On an earlier post I asked for anyones knowledge on a company refurbishing dash panels. I should have said dash 'instrument' panels. Not to be mistaken for dash 'pad' panels.
Okay lets start again, anyone got the name of any companies that refurbish instrument panels?

·
Registered
55 Posts
There is a place in Fort Worth called Mr. G's Rechromed Plastic ((817) 831-3501). The place if you saw it would scare the hell out of you but I've seen their work and it looks pretty good. They will not sell a dash outright so you send them your dash and they'll tell you how much.
But they'll only take it if its rebuildable. If they sound cranky they are but, there isn't a lot of choice out there that I've seen. Call them and get a catalog, I think my 69 was going to be around $350.00.

Doug

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
One more thing about Mr G's: They want your dash as a core. The one you get back will most likely NOT be the one you send them.

I was told that for 'common' cars, like Chevelles, they have a few in stock, and if yours is solid and can be redone, they just send you one that's already finished.

Exceptions include rare dashes which they don't have extras of, and dashes that have been altered (ie: cut for a new radio)

I do think that you can specify you want to get your's back, but I think it takes a considerably longer amount of time.

Kurt

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had the "Clock Doc" redo my 67 dash with gauges after my ready to re-install dash went under in the flood of 95. I had 18" of water in my garage and the waterbased paint had run streaked and smeared. It cost me 300 duckies, but it looked better than new when I got it back.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Hey Skip,

What all did that $300 include?

Mr G's will chrome and then for an extra $50, do the black painting. Any color painting needs to be done by the owner.

Kurt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Included complete refacing(repainting)of speedometer and all gauges,(oil pressure, battery amps,fuel,and temp) cleaning and recalibrating(for accuracy)all gauge electrical connections.Luckily, I didn't have the blinker tack mounted to the dash,or the price would have been a lot more.
Mr. G's doesn't do intricate detailing, and as you noted on this thread, you may not get your mint original piece back, rather a repaired core.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Thanks.

Is Clock Doc the guy in TN? I see those ad's in Hemmings quite a bit.

Also, it sounds from your post that he doesn't do work on the actual dash, such as the chroming. True? or did I misread your message?

I need to get this done over the winter, but I'm hesitant to send it off to Mr G's. My dash is (I think) perfect, save for the chrome. I don't want to sen it off and get one back that's not as nice.

One thing I may do is drill the mounting hold for a ham radio under the ashtray. Then I can specify that I need mine back. You won't be able to see them, so it shouldn't detract from the classic look if I take the radio out.

Kurt

·
Registered
21 Posts
Kurt,
Clock Doc is in TN. He doesn't work on anything except instruments like clocks, tachs, gauges,speedometers,etc.
From your post, there seems to be some confusion on my dash and the plastic panels to be rechromed.My 1967 has a steel dash and 3 plastic panels or bezels that are removed from the dash, and sent to be rechromed. You guys with the 68s and up have to send in the whole plastic dash. Just be sure to package the dash real good,to avoid any freight damage while being shipped.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Thanks Skip. Guuess I didn't make the connection between the years and different dash styles.

Well, I do need to get it done, but at least it's Winter and the car is put away for a few months. It was getting embarassing to drive with the guages all hanging out all over the place

Kurt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.