Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
brand new wiring harnesses throughout my 70 Chevelle. Radio and instrument lights were working than all of a sudden they are out. Pulled the fuse and I have no electric at the two tabs that hold the fuse in, is there a fuse able link somewhere I am missing? This is the small instrument fuse ( pictured )

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Forgot to mention, all other fuses have power to them with the exception of the one mentioned.

·
Premium Member
6,880 Posts
On the back of the fuse box, there is a power distribution system wherein one side of the fuses are on with ignition and the other side is straight from battery. The instrument lamps also power the tail lamps and are on the side that is straight from the battery. If the other fuses on that side have power, there's no reason the lamps should not also have power UNLESS there is a break in the circuit on the backside of the fuse block.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
The one clip for the small fuse will only have power (variable from 0-12V depending on the rotation of the dimmer control) and the other clip goes out to the instrument panel lights.

Maybe the dimmer is rotated fully the wrong way ?.

If they were working and went out suddenly, maybe there is an issue with the dimmer portion of the headlight switch. It works on a wiper arm rubbing against windings of wire to get the different variable voltage outputs. Try rotating the switch fully clockwise then counter clockwise a few times and see if anything happens.

Oh, and don't forget have the headlight switch pulled out all the way when checking things.

If for some reason too you have LED dash lights they might not like anything less than 12V going to them. The factory rotating dimmer switch on the headlight switch varies the output from 12V down to 0V.

Jim

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
On the back of the fuse box, there is a power distribution system wherein one side of the fuses are on with ignition and the other side is straight from battery. The instrument lamps also power the tail lamps and are on the side that is straight from the battery. If the other fuses on that side have power, there's no reason the lamps should not also have power UNLESS there is a break in the circuit on the backside of the fuse block.
The tail lamp fuse provides the power to the dimmer portion of the instrument lamps. From the dimmer only when the head light switch is pulled on will you get the 12-0v through the inst lps fuse and the gray dash wires.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got it!!!! I took the one ground wire off and moved it from the dash frame to the actual body. All good, thank you everybody.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Got it!!!! I took the one ground wire off and moved it from the dash frame to the actual body. All good, thank you everybody.
So you took a ground wire off, moved it, and now you are showing power at the small fuse terminals in the fuse block and the instrument panel lights are now working ?.

Can you expand on what you did ?.

Just curious.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts