Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to know if there is a way to gain more access behind the instrument panel without removing it or disconecting all the wiring? Some of the things i would like to do are #1 Remove the dash pad for recovering. #2 replace or install new speakers. #3 Repair AC and heat ducts. this is impossible to do through a 1" crack. They only possible way i see to do it is to remove the steering column and this would allow the panel to drop enough to do what i need.
So i guess my question would be is it a big headache to remove the steering column at the half way down point just below the instrument panel? Thanks in advance...

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Not hard at all..just remove the upper nuts or bolts and it will drop down. I had to do this also when I restored my dash\pad\etc. You might have to remove the glove box to gain access to some of the ducting. Been a couple of years but it was no big deal. You'll definitely have to remove the black bezel to get to the dash pad nuts if I remember correctly. I also removed my
instument cluster to clean up and replace all the bulbs. Most of it was a no brainer. Good Luck

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
you didn't say if you've got a collem shift car .. but if so before lowering collem remove the little cable that goes to the shift indicator if you try to lower collem even 1" without doing it you'll break it ... you can get the dash out by just lowering the collem you don't have to remove it .. cover collem with towel pull dash out & set it on collem that should give you the room to do what you want if you decide to remove dash complety be very carfull of the dash lite sockets they come apart the steel spring part stays in the panel & the plastic pulls off... use very small tool to get under socket & pop out .. I've done this a number of times lots of fun :rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info...Yes i do have a column shifter and i think i saw the wire (shift indicator) you're speaking of...it was attached to the bottom of the column via plastic or metal clip. If this is it than i have already removed it...Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts