Team Chevelle banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering having a local auto upholsterer re-cover my front buckets and rear bench seats. I'm supplying all of the materials and I'm removing the old covers & foam. He quoted me $450 - $550...sight unseen. That seemed a little steep.
How's that price?

Also, separate question, I'm prepping the springs, etc. I wire brushed all of the loose rust and primed with a rust inhibitive primer. Do they need to be painted as well and if so, what paint do you all suggest?

Thanks.

------------------
Yella

·
Registered
636 Posts
Seems very steep to me. I was quoted $750 for both front and rear seats. That was complete, with covers and all labor. But I decided to try it myself and bought a set of covers. It took me about 3 nights to strip clean and prep the frames, then I spent 1 saturday putting the covers on. It was not that tought at all. I would most definitely do it myself again.

------------------
Mat Ellison
Lincoln, Ne
70 SS 396 Chevelle
62 Impala Sport Coupe
2001 Grand Prix GT
Aces #2424
http://www.geocities.com/elliboom/Mats_70_Chevelle.html?994781720927

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Cost me 600 dollars five years ago for 2 bucket seats. Going price around here.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
580,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

L

·
0 Posts
That seems high to me. I paid $150 to have my buckets done about 2 years ago. Like you, I provided everything.

·
Premium Member
7,683 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
I was in the upholstery business for a long
time and I can tell you its like anything else..You get what you pay for.
I couldn't tell by your post if you supplied
premade covers or they are making them.
If they are making the covers then estimate was certainly not unreasonable. I can also tell you that the ready made seat covers from the chevelle parts distributor are not made from top notch materials no matter what they say even though they look good.
I would also keep in mind that if you don't like the finished product youll never be happy regardless of the price.
The highest auto trim shop here in town is
also the best.
I'm betting the quote that they gave you assumed they would have to make so foam repair etc. I'd check around on there reputation in the area..Word of mouth always kept me busy and will make or break any business. I know that complete interior jobs (including door panels carpet seats etc. go
for $1500.00 plus.
I am presently making my chevelles' seat covers ,door panels, carpet etc and I will probably have $350-400 in materials alone.
Good luck

------------------
best regards
Importtech

[This message has been edited by Importtech (edited 06-25-2002).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts