Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, this will be the first of several stupid questions I'll ask as I install new wiring harnesses and a gauge dash in a 70 Chevelle. There is a single orange wire w/ black stripe attached to a rectangular block on the fire wall near the master cylinder. This wire goes through the fire wall, and ends with a three pronged male plug. The prongs are aligned side by side, and is near the emergency brake set-up. I cannot find where this plug should attach to the wiring harness, or on the car somewhere. The wire is short, and near the fuse block. Can anybody help ? Steve

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
OOPS, My mistake

[This message has been edited by cjlandry (edited 11-26-2000).]

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm not very familiar with the 70 model, but it sounds like a jumper for 1 or more power accessories(windows, convertible top, tailgate window, seat). Does the 3 way connector have only the orange/black wire in it?

------------------
Ken<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Aces # 125<LI>Team Chevelle # 586[/list]My 67 and other projects

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ken, Yes it has only one, fairly heavy guage orange wire w/black stripe. Your deduction does make sense since this car has a power convertible top. The lead wire from the power top switch on the dash is the same color and guage of wire, however, the female plug-in would take up only one of the three side-by-side prongs on the mystery wire. I thought the power top lead wire plugged directly into the accessories hook-up on the fuse block. Am I wrong ? Another foot-note: I mentioned in my first post that the mystery wire started at a small rectangular block on the fire-wall. The opposite side of this block has a single wire heading to the front of the car, and ends at current regulator mounted above the driver's side headlight area. Does that help identify it ? Steve

·
Premium Member
4,477 Posts
"Mystery" block mounted on the driver's side firewall sounds like the circuit breaker for the power top. It would get power from the horn relay (by the driver's side headlights) and then run to the breaker, off the breaker to inside the car to the top's circuits. If there was a short, the breaker would trip and then reset itself protecting the circuitry.

Now, I say that with some what confidence, but again, I can't see your car, so I can on speculate.

Joe

------------------
Creator of Team Chevelle's RADIO TECH for original audio questions and answers

·
Registered
242 Posts
I believe that Joe is correct. I have a 70 assembly manual, and it shows the power top switch lead wire plugging inline to a wire from the breaker, not to the fuse block. Hope this helps.

------------------
Ken<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Aces # 125<LI>Team Chevelle # 586[/list]My 67 and other projects

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gentlemen, Thanks for what I'm sure is the first of many "riddles solved" as I re-wire this great car. Stay tuned for more. Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts