Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to finally put an HEI in the '70, so I bought a used one and decided to rebuild it. After pricing everything out, it was almost as much as buying a NEW one. So, I'll sell the old one and pick up the new one this evening.
I printed out the tech reference on HEI's and the tech archive on total timing and I'm still not totally sure of what setting I need.
I have a completely stock 307, except for new Edelbrock 500cfm carb and intake.
1. What should my total timing be? (I've heard everyting from 35-38)
2. Should I set for best initial before setting total? (Engine seems to run same from 8-12, losing rpms at 6 and detonating at 14)
Thanks for any/help you can provide.

------------------
Fred
Madness takes it's toll, please have exact change.
www.geocities.com/motorcity/shop/9385/1970Chevelle.html

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
mine runs around 9deg. and runs just right they say to set it as high as it goes until it starts to ping (under a load) then back it off just a bit to get it to stop

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle9.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Fred, the HEI should run the same timing as the old point set up. Factory setting for your car is 8 degrees, total timing will be in the low 30's depending on how the HEI is set up. Did you get one of the $149 units from Summit??

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

·
Registered
777 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chev,
Thanks...my lil 307 seems to like 12 for initial. At 14 I get detonation, and at 8-10 I get a hesitation.

Thanks for the info...I got mine from a local speed shop for $125, but had to buy a coil to go along with it. I have the old hei that I will swipe the coil cover and grounding strap from.
Fred

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.