Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to be putting my front end back together, and this is my first time doing it. I got new coil springs fro OPGI. The old ones I took out had a flat end on one end and on the new ones there is no flat end. Not sure how the new ones are suppose to go in... I heard that you're suppose to "clock" them, but not really sure what that means or how to do it. Any help would be appreciated!

·
Vendor
1,485 Posts
Going to be putting my front end back together, and this is my first time doing it. I got new coil springs fro OPGI. The old ones I took out had a flat end on one end and on the new ones there is no flat end. Not sure how the new ones are suppose to go in... I heard that you're suppose to "clock" them, but not really sure what that means or how to do it. Any help would be appreciated!
If your using factory lower a-arms there should be 2 small holes, the end of the coil spring should rest (clock) between these holes. If this is done properly the top of the spring should be clocked correctly as well.

Aftermarket lower a-arms usually have a ramp in the spring bucket that the end of the coil spring goes up against so that it is clocked correctly.

Most aftermarket springs have a "cut flat end" that have to be installed towards the top for the spring to be seated correctly.

Craig

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Craig, thanks for the response I was chatting last week with you about control arms....I went with your guy's control arms "UMI" both upper and lower, I'm assuming your advice is true with your arms? There is no flat end on my springs, with that, is there a certain end that goes up or down? My new springs are black and have a white dot painted on one end of them. Could that mean anything?

·
Vendor
1,485 Posts
Craig, thanks for the response I was chatting last week with you about control arms....I went with your guy's control arms "UMI" both upper and lower, I'm assuming your advice is true with your arms? There is no flat end on my springs, with that, is there a certain end that goes up or down? My new springs are black and have a white dot painted on one end of them. Could that mean anything?
If there isn't a flat end there normally isn't a difference in top or bottom unless they are progressive rate springs.

I'm not familiar with OPGI springs so I'm not 100%

Craig

·
Registered
6,199 Posts
Were there not a booklet/instructions that came with them ?

Check with OPGI and or the Manufacturer of the Springs !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was nothing that came with and I called them and they had no clue how to install them and didn't have any installation instructions to give me. I never asked for the manufacturer though, I might have to give that a shot

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
I have found the people you talk to on the phone at OPGI are beyond clueless on the technical end of things. Sorry to get of track.

Hope you get it all figured out.

You went with UMI uppers and lowers control arms, I would return the ones you got and have Craig hook you up with a set of their springs.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would except I bought them in a kit over a month ago....tried saving some money and halfway through changed my mind and decided it'll be worth the extra money for good quality parts and the great technical service unlike my OPGI experience

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
You might post a picture or two of the springs. That may allow people to give you better guidance.

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
my umi arms came in, and I see how the spring should be clocked but still unsure which end goes up. I have attached some pictures the one side with the white dot looks to be wound a little tighter but not by much. anyone have an idea?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts