Team Chevelle banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically, I have been going through my 67' to see if what I paid for was done right. Some yes and most no. People need to learn that greed is their downfall. That's another subject. I have purchased a new carrier that is a 4:10. I didn't want to drop the complete rear end to install the new carrier. I want to make sure that the pinion I have will match up. I have a four link with full disc brakes, and I am working from the ground using jack stands. I am looking for confirmation that this pinion will work with the new 4:10 carrier. I have attached a picture. Thanks for your help. If it will work certainly save a lot of time.

Attachments

· Registered
873 Posts
I'm maybe a little unclear on what you are asking?...
If the car has 4.10 now, and all you are doing is replacing the carrier (carrier swap, not gear swap), it needs to be a 4 series carrier unless it has the special "thick" ring gear set made for use with a 3 series carrier (or a ring gear spacer) to allow 4 series gears to fit.

If you are trying to use a pinion gear from one gearset and a ring gear from another gearset....you cannot do this
Even if the old ring gear was also part of a 4.10 gearset, you cannot just do this swap.

Ring and pinion gearsets are matched pairs......the pinion gear for one 4.10 set cannot be used with a 4.10 ring gear from a different set.....and certainly CANNOT be used with a ring gear that is a different ratio such as 3.73 or 4.56.

Do you have the ring gear that is originally matched to the pinion you pictured??

· Premium Member
8,896 Posts
That pinion looks to be stamped 10 - 41 which makes it a .410 So that's one half of a of a .410 gear set.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm maybe a little unclear on what you are asking?...
If the car has 4.10 now, and all you are doing is replacing the carrier (carrier swap, not gear swap), it needs to be a 4 series carrier unless it has the special "thick" ring gear set made for use with a 3 series carrier (or a ring gear spacer) to allow 4 series gears to fit.

If you are trying to use a pinion gear from one gearset and a ring gear from another gearset....you cannot do this
Even if the old ring gear was also part of a 4.10 gearset, you cannot just do this swap.

Ring and pinion gearsets are matched pairs......the pinion gear for one 4.10 set cannot be used with a 4.10 ring gear from a different set.....and certainly CANNOT be used with a ring gear that is a different ratio such as 3.73 or 4.56.

Do you have the ring gear that is originally matched to the pinion you pictured??
I do. It had some damage so that's why I'm replacing it. I don't want to drop the driveline and I don't want to drop the complete bango housing (diesel tech term). OK, I believe you have answered my question. New carrier new pinion. I'll drop the driveline and install the pinion and then I'll time it. Now, if I could just find the new pinion! Hahaha. It's here somewhere. To many projects and this one took a back burner. Now it's on the front burner. This all started with me installing a new EFI system. Then I found all the BS that wasn't done right. The list is so long I can't even remember. Classic cars are a roller coaster of fun and money. But it sure is fun when you're cruising.

Thanks all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts