Chevelles.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installing a complete floor pan including the braces in my 68 Chevelle. I've looked at the how to videos available and cannot seem to find one on a complete floor replacement (with floor braces). Found plenty of videos on floor pan replacements with existing braces which does no good.

I need to install a complete floor - does anyone have information of what to look for, meaning do I weld in temporary cross members to avoid body flex, install the floors on the existing frame, leave the doors on the body for added rigidly, looking for the best scenario without screwing up the body geometry. Cant see this as being that difficult, but making sure all basis are covered.

Mike

·
Premium Member
13,560 Posts
Mike, you might PM Blue454SS, Tom Rightler, as he has done this several times, good luck!!

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
It's much easier to do the 1 piece floor and the braces separate. The floor with braces is a bitch to get below the rocker lip. Do it on the frame. Cut the floor out, then replace the braces 1 at a time putting the new one in the exact same location the old one was in. Before you weld it to the inner rocket, put the body bolts in to hold it in place. Once done, you can trim the floor, drop it in, scribe lines on the bottom along the braces and drill your holes for plug welds. You will have to put the floor in about 4 times to do it for fitment purposes. Total time to do it is about 12-16 hours.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for the feedback. Purchased the complete floor already, thinking about subbing it out considering how much of a pain in the ass this is turning out to be. So much for a DIY project.. lol..

I have the completed frame/suspension assembled and ready to go.. Once the floors are complete the body goes on the frame, and the fun begins.

Does anyone know of a good shop in North Jersey to install floors?

See the pics of current progress.

Mike

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,477 Posts
You can't do the floor off the frame like that, especially the braces too. You are asking for problems. If you want to sub it out, I can give you a name for a friend of mine that does it down near Atlantic City, but you will have to put the body back on the frame.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There is the original frame is under the car and is rotten in a few places. The frame you see in the pic is the replacement. If you have your friends name and contact information, I would appreciate it.

Thanks for the response, Mike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts