Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never felt so damn inept....Did what I thought was pretty good research on installing new carpet..... completely restored my 71 ......adding dynamat and dynaliner.....looked good for installing new carpet from Ground Up....... farthest from reality..... I have about 3 inches of puff on the tunnel and lots of bunching on the rear floor board part that rises from the floor to the platform under the rear seat. tried sliding entire carpet forward, backward, sideways, even cut the padding off the rear piece..... mistake - as the carpet seems frail now.....some parts of it actually look good, but the extra carpet on tunnel is perplexing....

Can't they make a product that fits better than this.........

this is a case of how not to do things...... wifeby keeps saying the ultimate slam...."take it to a pro" Yep..... sucks......

Can someone come to my garage and fix this mess.......mostly venting but any guidance would be appreciated...

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
FWIW you're not alone, I have read similar comments here over the years. Some seem to find luck letting the carpet sit unfolded in the sun for a while until it is quite warm and more pliable and even then need to put it in the vehicle and apply books or something on high spots. Not looking forward to doing mine once I get there.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Ron - had a hand held steamer out and had carpet in sun on a few of our recent 80 days here......no change to the damn thing....

Rich - got the can of glue ready to fire..... going to make some 'safe' cuts in the area under the rear seat then glue......that's were the visible wrinkles are...... the tunnel under the console isn't too bad... its the extra inches in the area forward of the console.... at least it's not wrinkled - so glue may work.....

helps a lot.... still standing on the ledge but postponing the jump for now......

·
Premium Member
7,789 Posts
Which brand carpet is it, ACC or Trim parts? (just curious)

I have had good luck with both companies for the 64-67 carpets... but i have heard of folks having the same issues you report with the 68-72 carpets from both companies.

I have heard that if you make a custom order you have better chances of it fitting well. Not sure why that is, if they use a different mold for one-offs vs the mass produced ones...

When you order carpet sets, you can request different things... loop vs cut pile, carpet type, pad vs no pad vs extra pad, extra carpet around edges (not pre-trimmed).

I know when i did my 69 elcamino back in 2001, i ordered ACC carpet with cut pile w/ extra jute padding added and it fit like a glove over the transmission tunnel.

I need to order carpet for my 68 this coming summer... I will likely try the same thing again... Some combination of custom options so they'll have to do a one off & hope it fits better.

As far as trying to help with yours, all i can suggest is to make sure the front carpet is as far forward as possible. Look at the bottom where the jute padding is and use the headlight dimmer hole for locating the carpets position. The last couple i have done the front carpet set needs to get pushed really far forward and requires trimming the carpet back and then tucking it up under the firewall pad. It was barely overlapping the rear carpet...

It would be easy to assume it should not go that far forward, but on the earlier cars, the gas pedal mounts to studs on the floor goes right at the end of the heel pad, so it was obvious. The later cars, there isn't much to identify where it goes exactly.

Anyway... not sure if that will help or not, but its all i got.

I would not start trying to glue the carpet down, these were never glued in and really should not be. the seats hold the carpet in place.

·
Premium Member
2,150 Posts
Bob
I'm with you & so is everyone else on here(who try to use these units). it's not the retailer, cause you get the same crap no matter where you buy it. if you try & push down the hump it's pushes out & interferes with the gas pedal. also throwing off the heel section & maybe exposing it from under the floor mats. the only thing I was able to do was glue the rug to the tunnel were my right foot would rest. this did puff up on top of the tunnel. my carpet is black & you can hide some imperfections.now I'm using a B & M floor shift & I can get away with it. if someone comes out with a decent fitting carpet I'll be first on line to order. . and don't believe that '' let it sit in the sun '' that won't help. probably if you cut the carpet down the center & removed a 4 to 6 inches strip then you'll have something. you know it's been a couple of years since I installed mine, thanks for the reminder :mad:. good luck
hmardown

·
Premium Member
7,053 Posts
I guess my question is do you have the right carpet? There's carpet for console and non-console applications. In the event you have floor shift non-console, you need the console carpet because of the shifter perch. If you put console carpet in a non-console car, you will have excess material. If your supplier didn't distinguish it, you probably have the console carpet with excess material.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Not trying to rub it in but there are carpets out there that fit. I bought this 5 years ago from eBay and it was pre-molded and went in like a glove. I want to say it was 120.00, not sure of the vendor but I'm sure I could go back and find it.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All - great stuff..... not sure if ACC brand... ordered from Ground Up for 71 and didn't realize there was difference between console and non-console types (another flaw in my research).....

Darren - I was expected a nice fit like you describe - but nope......glad to hear it happens.

Real good info Ben....... tempted to call them.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Trim parts used to have two choices, chevelle with automatic trans or manual transmission and with or without console. Manuals had a little more material from what we found out.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Found out that Ground Up uses ACC, so I have an ACC carpet!! hmmmmm. Did I put too thick dynamat and dynaliner on floor? I used 1/8th Dynaliner on top of dynmat and it has a nice smooth contoured look.......????

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
I had to buy some 1" thick foam and form, glue and shave it up to fill the gap on my trans tunnel.It turned out OK but yeah I was not expecting that much fight.

·
Registered
1969 Chevelle 2 Door Sport Coupe Malibu COPO clone
5,678 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Found out that Ground Up uses ACC, so I have an ACC carpet!! hmmmmm. Did I put too thick dynamat and dynaliner on floor? I used 1/8th Dynaliner on top of dynmat and it has a nice smooth contoured look.......????
I have an ACC kit, installed over a double layer of E-Z Cool insulation (total thickness about 3/8"). It fits well except for at the rear where it has to angle back up.

On a passenger car, it's not so bad under the back seat. With a Camino, it really shows!

I haven't figured out how to fix it yet, but I'm not going to let it bother me for now. :grin2:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts