Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok ive asked this question before but now ive ran into another problem. after taking out the malibu dash and installing the ss dash nothing worked. i mean the car wouldnt even start. after careful inspection of every wire on the ss dash and every wire on the mailbox dash ive determined they are exactly the same. even the colors are exactly color coated. so the question is if i keep the mailbox harness in the vehicle and splice in the ss plug wires just at the back of the cluster, would it work?????? the ss dash does NOT have a tach and gauges, just dummy lights and a clock. so splicing should be easy if i just follow every color to every wire and making sure they go to the proper place, and also including the fuel since its the only seperate gauge in the malibu. right?????? if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I dunno, Elree Colby has me beat on these questions.
If it was me I wouldn't cut it up after I installed the harness. I'd see why it didn't start the car. Only 3 wires needed for that. Starter power comes into the fuseblock to the ignition switch to the neutral safety switch and back out the bulkhead connector. Maybe the bulkhead connector isn't seated well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we thought that at first and checked every wire. there was a few wires we noticed were burnt from the ss dash. we figured the fuse block was burned out and thats why it didnt work. that is also how we figured that all the wires were exactly the same except the idiot light placement on the malibu and the single plug for the ss. also what brought me to this question is the $359.00 tag on a new wiring harness.

·
Premium Member
2,223 Posts
Yes you can graft the cluster connector from the SS harness to the Malibu harness. As you stated the wire colors are the same. I have just two things to point out.

1-The temp light on the Malibu harness has two dark green wires at the light. One from the bulkhead (temp switch) the other from the ignition switch (tests the light on each start). On the SS harness the two dark green wires meet at the bulkhead connector. Connect both dark green wires from the light to the single dark green wire to the cluster connector.
2-There are two tan wires next to each other on the cluster connector. One is for the fuel gauge. It will be the tan wire on the end. The other is for the brake warning light. It will be the second in from the end.

As to why it won’t start, this may not be the only reason but by itself is enough. If the SS dash harness you have is from a 72 the bulkhead connections are significantly different from the 71. Just one of several differences, power comes in from the engine harness on the 72 and in from the forward lamp harness on the 71.

If you want a 71 SS harness e-mail me I have what you need.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts