Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,...

I'm in the process of restoring my 71 Chevelle and am up to installing a headliner. I have everything you need to install it,... all the original poles and bracketing, and a custom cut headliner (white leather) to fit the car. The headliner was professionally made, but when I had it priced to be professionally installed,... It was $300. What I wanted to know is how hard it is to put a headliner in. Assuming that I have no experience in installing a headliner but I have all the materials, Is it possible for me to successfully complete the installation,... Or am I out of my league? Also,.. Is there anywhere I can go online to look up how to install this headliner... Thanks for the help, Dan

·
Registered
767 Posts
I have always considered myself a "can do" person and I will often tackle welding,engine work, and electrical. But I am not an upolsterey person, I attempted to do a headliner in my last build and it came out fair but I knew where the wrinkles were. Having just finished my 66, except for the headliner(I also have the liner and all the trim) I am leaving it up to an expert to get it right.

·
Registered
292 Posts
It is a frustrating job especially the first time around and leather is probably harder to work with than vinyl. You can really pull your hair out on this if you want it perfect.

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,593 Posts
The best tip I can think of is to get a bunch of paper clamps and stretch and clamp the headliner in position before glueing. Make it look the way you want before touching any glue. It's much easier with the windshield and back glass removed. Also, use regular headliner glue available from the resto parts places. It takes 2 cans. Contact cement is stringy, makes a real mess, and just isn't easy to use

1 - 7 of 7 Posts