Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,
Thanks for all the helpful posts about M&H Wiring. I have bought a dash harness for my '70 Chevelle and I will be installing it soon. I have replaced the front lamp harness as well as the rear but I wanted to tap into the knowledge out there as far as the recommended procedure for installing the dash harness. What is the best way to go about it? I have heard some talk about dropping the dash, is this the way to go? Any tips that might help would be much appreciated. How long does it take to install? Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
most definately removing the dash from the car would be the easiest way to go.
that way you can route the bundle just the way it was originally installed.
I'd put money on GM installing the dash and accessories with wiring as a complete assmbly,not trying to install the wiring after the dash was in the car.
I've done the rewire myself and its rather easy with the dash out

------------------
Philip Mullaly
72 TPI El Camino
The Z-meano
The Z-meano mill

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
Patrick-

Don't be intimidated by dropping the entire dash assembly. First, remove the dash pad with a series of phillips screws. Then, you'll need to lower the steering column at the two-bolt attachment point. Then, about six small bolts will let you remove the dash all at once. Go slow, get a buddy to help and don't force it, remember to unhook things like antenna lead, heater wiring, etc. I replaced my SS dash with a restored one back in August, and thought it would be a nightmare....it wasn't at all. Pictures under "interior" section of my website listed below show installed dash. One other thing, it makes things MUCH, MUCH easier if the windshield is not installed. However, if that's not a possibility, just remove the pad & lower the dash from inside the car. Good Luck!

------------------
Gregg Haskin
72 Chevelle SS
ZZ502 Crated RAT
Muncie M-20 4 speed
TEAM CHEVELLE #726 ACES #4486
"PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN!"
“What the heck are all these extra nuts & bolts for?”

My 72 Chevelle SS Restoration Website: www.wcvt.com/~ghaskin

·
Registered
314 Posts
Take out the dash.. You wont regret it. But Please make sure you don't need to replace the PCB as well. I had mine "repaired" and smoked it. I managed to get the new one in with the dash just disconnected but it was a pain. The job was alot easier with everything out of the way when I put the harness on. I thought I could save some time by not removing it, once you disconnect it you might as well yank it out and put it in the bench... Leaving it in didn't save anytime and gave me back problems for a week. IMO

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
JODY'S 71 or Peach State Chevelles

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you all for the tips and advice. I take on the project tonight. I do have a question for Jody though; PCB? I may be having a brain fart, but what is that? Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
6,955 Posts
PCB = printed circuit board

------------------
Mike Newby

69 Chevelle 355/TH200-4R
97 Grand Prix GTP
64 Chevy C10 Pickup
79 Suzuki GS550

1 - 6 of 6 Posts