Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
1970 SS454 LS6 11 second street car
19,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks to Bill Burke,aka Bill's Camino who sold me the unit.Put it into my 70 SS454 that obviously had a peg leg 12 bolt.Anyway,install was pretty straight forward and fairly easy.Works well,and actually you don't even know its there when you make turns.I got one chirp making a left turn,other than that,unit is pretty quiet.This is not their new style with the synchros,just the standard locker.

------------------
1970 Chevelle SS396/M20/4.10 My 70 SS396
Engine pic
1970 Chevelle SS454My 70 SS454
1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass convertible
1982 Oldsmobile Cutlass 350 Olds,TH350(daily driver)
Chris Corwel,TC Member 785

· Registered
310 Posts
yeah daddy......I tell you what boy.....I come see dat sh!t tonight!

· Registered
59 Posts
I will be waiting for your next post after you have driven in the rain.. See my signature-I speak from experience when I tell you that you are in for an interesting ride.. Glow slow into turns when the street is wet.. Be safe and have fun!

------------------
1969 Camaro 383/365HP, B/W T-56 Six Speed, 12 bolt, Power Trax Locker, 3.73, 4 Whl. Disc brakes, console w/gauge package, tach, clock, tilt, Black Deluxe houndstooth interior, rear window defogger, all eurethane bushings.

· Registered
77 Posts
I just installed one into my sons 70 12 bolt today i bought it new from summit.The only trouble i had was getting every thing inside the carrier.The instructions tell you to install the side closest too the ring gear first so i did then i could not get the other side to go in so i reversed the procedure and it went like clock work from there.I also did the test they show and i could not get it to unlock I guess it will unlock when i drive it around.I installed the drag springs insted of the street springs.I hope it works good i hope too find out tomorrow.

------------------

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Go gentle guys til you get used to them!! First time I hit second with my foot in it a bit too much on a damp road,...sideways!! Into the ditch on its side. New right hand rocker panel and two small dents in the door. My buddy was right behind me in his 57 chevy, (Yes.. I was showing off) and stood on the exhaust to get it back down on its wheels. Painted entire right side of car and had to polish out numerous scrathes in the clear coat.I got off real lucky but it was still 3000 dollars for being a fool!

· Premium Member
1,151 Posts
We installed the old style locker on Henry's 5.0 Mustang. It works great but low-speed turns are pretty noisy with the 5-speed tranny and the car "bucks". Chris, your 454 is an auto right? I think the converter slips enough that you won't get this effect. Otherwise a great unit, but I wouldn't auto-cross with it or anything

------------------
Tony Nausieda
1970 SS 396-4??hp
Frame-off Resto, just painted, awaiting final reassembly.
NOT stock but looks it!

· Registered
53 Posts
Chris, glad to hear it went well.

Bcice, hey man with the bb cars, you gotta make sure it pointed directly straight before you even think of nailing it. In the rain, you gotta drive super easy.( when you get inadvertnetly stuck out iin it that is)

------------------
Member #62 Gold/ACES 03112
67 SS396(427-3X2)
Be Big, Be a Builder

· Registered
2 Posts
I have had the "old style" behind my 396 for about three years. It also bucks in tight slow turns. I don't have any more fears driving in the rain with it than a posi, but caution is prudent when giving a good amount of throttle.

· Registered
1,920 Posts
Gene Chas. It was pointed straight alright but there was quite a slope in the road. I had a 69 Firebird years ago with a 400 and posi. I guess you do forget some things as you get older. Plain and simple! I did something stupid! Terry

· Registered
77 Posts
Well I drove the chevelle tonight after i installed the powertrax unit.The unit makes alot of noise when you turn and it unlocks.At first I thought the wheel was loose so i got out and checked but determend it was the posi.The car has a BB and auto tranny I did not try and turn the tires over yet they say to drive it about 100 miles or so first so I will put it to the test this weekend at the track oy-yeh.As for taken it easey in the rain you should drive my 65 chevelle with a narrowed 9" with a posi and 456 gears with 18.5" tires on the back it is a BB and a 700r4 around 750 HP it will make your *** suck up the seat on wet or dry pavement.As for the powertrax i will post how it holds up at the track my son and i are going to take both cars there this weekend he will be 17 on on OCT-31st and he wants to take me on.All he will see is tail lights oh-yeah.

------------------

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.