Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my Dodge ram...i need help guys here is my problem..... I got everything in (except the rear speakers) and something is wrong. The speakers sound really distorted, like if you turned the volume to full blast kind of distorted, but this happens at moderate volume. Me and my neighbor (who's done this before) checked over my wiring twice and everything is correct, I am 99.99 percent sure its not my wiring. I know its not the speakers or the crossovers because its all the speakers that sound bad and i have to crank the volume up higher than i should have to, for the amount of sound that is coming out . Only thing i can think of is i got a dud head unit, . i am running no amps just the head unit (new pioneer premier 200 watt) i got the speaker outputs from the head going onto the input on the crossovers, from there the mid leads going to the mids, and the treater leads going to the tweeters, the head unit is a plug in harness with all new speaker wire that I ran NO factory wiring as far as speakers go, I only used the plug in harness on the power side not the speaker connection side. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.

The equipment is a Rockford fosagate "fanatic x" component system and fosgate rear speakers with a deh p330 pioneer premier head unit. All brand new

Thanks a lot

------------------
Thomas (AKA Hot66ss)
66 Super Sport Now striped frame off Project
67 Malibu Getting there.
69 El camino Beater FOR SALE Mild 355, M20 4 speed (Daily Driver)
Video of me in the Elco smoking the tires
Aces Member 2380
Team Chevelle member #262

·
Registered
221 Posts
I would verify that all balance/fader settings operate the proper speakers to insure that speaker wiring is correct. If this test is successful, I would then try wiring speakers directly to head unit without using crossover ... If distortion continues, I would believe the problem is in the head unit. If problem goes away, then it is in the crossover.. BTW, does the problem occur with radio, tape, CD, ALL source options? Also, I am assuming that the problem occurs regardless of engine running ... not running

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
ok, so you only are running 2 channels?? if so are the other wires covered up and not touching anything or each other? im thinking the cross-over's also have something to do with it. or your wiring is backwards thus making the cross-overs useless.
Personaly, i always use the stock wiring harness and get the adapter, makes it clean, also make sure you don't have "super bass" etc. turned on on the head-unit.

i'd run them straight off the radio also as suggested, most tweeters come with capasitors built on.

------------------
1970 SS396 AKA 454/4spd
My Chev-Hell Page
GOLD Member #783
Ft.Worth, Tx
(OO=ss=OO)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts