Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Administrator
16,167 Posts
Have someone hold the hood up, pry off one end of the old spring and then install the new one. I found that a brake spring tool works well. Don't use a stick to prop the hood as it can come loose. Philip

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
YES!
You need a vise and one of those long hinged brake tools (kind of like a long pair of pliers) that is used to hook brake return springs and pull them over the anchor pin or hook.
Place the hood hinge in the vise just tight enough to secure it (you may want to protect it with a rag). To remove the spring, slip a large screw driver under the spring and pry it up over the hook.BE SURE TO STAND CLEAR! To install, hook one end of the spring to the hinge and use the brake tool on the other end of the spring and carefully stretch it over the hook on the hinge. I first tried this with a large screw driver and the spring slipped off every time as I almost got it hooked. The brake tool worked like a champ the first time. I did this with the hood and hinges off the car. I don't know how well, or if, it will work on the car. By doing it with a vise, it is much easier to stand clear of the spring in case it should slip off toward you. Dumb ole me didn't, but I woud highly recommend that you wear eye protection. A full face shield would be best.

------------------

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Well, I see that in fact 64elcamino HAS done it on the car. I was afraid to try it on the car, in case the spring jumped loose and damaged something.
Hey Phillip, did it work pretty easy?

------------------

·
Administrator
16,167 Posts
I didn't have any problem, I kept a tight hold onto the old one so it wouldn't get away and the new ones popped on easy. I didn't notice a big difference in tension between the old and new but the new ones did hold the hood up. Also I was told that on the 70-72 the SS hoods have a stiffer spring.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Ok, I am a chicken when it comes to springs, calculus, ......... But here is what I recently did to pull the springs off a pair of hinges. Sure it would work in reverse.

I clamped the hinge in a vise. Use a craftsman screw driver (they replace 'em when you fu#$-it up) to spread a pair of coils.

Slip a long nail in the gap between the coils. Do this until spring is extended enuff to slip on/off the hinge. Then remove nails carefully one by one. Took 3 minutes per hinge.

[This message has been edited by DG (edited 05-12-99).]

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
64elcamino,
I have also heard that CI hinges are stronger, but the parts book lists 1 spring for all. And, when I installed the CI hood on my wife's 70 Malibu conv, the springs for the stock flat hood work just fine holding up the CI hood. So-------------------------your guess is as good as mine.

------------------

·
Registered
29 Posts
DG hit the nail on the head! (ha, ha, ha). Here is a trick for getting them off and back on I have used for years. Close the hood about half way. Place nails in the gaps between the coils (about 10 should do it). Lift the hood back up and the springs will virtually fall off. Putting them back on is the reverse, or with new ones do as DG described.

[This message has been edited by BEAST72 (edited 05-12-99).]

·
Registered
43 Posts
The easiest, most simple way to replace hood springs on the car is to 1.)open the hood. 2.)use a chain and hook on the front of the spring. 3.) stand in front of the car and simply pull. This will work every time and is a one man job. Your hood may want to come down with the spring off, so be careful. With the chain on the spring, it will not fly off and damage you or your car. Simply reverse the procedure to re-install. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12,841 Posts
Jax,
And how often do you compete for Mr. Universe?

------------------

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Part number 3848272 8&25/64"
63-64 Chevy II, Chevelle
65 Chevelle
65-66 Pass.
66-67 Chevelle (S.S.)
67-69 Camaro (350,396)
70 Pass.
71 Chevelle (454)
71 Monte Carlo
72 Chevelle (S.S.,Hvy. Chevy)
72 Monte Carlo, El Camino (Custom)

Part number 3907626
67 Pass.
69 Pass.
70 Monte Carlo
70-75 Camaro

Part number 3864680 8&13/16"
65 Chevy II
66-67 Chevelle (exc. S.S.)
68 Chevelle (2nd Design)
68 Pass.
69-72 Chevelle (exc. Monte Carlo, S.S., Hvy. Chevy)

Part Number 409025
66-67 Chevy II
67-69 Camaro (exc. 350, 396)
71-74 Nova
73-75 Pass.

Thes part numbers may continue into later years, I don't have that parts book close by.

Source Chevy Parts Catalog No. 11

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.