Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I try to tackle any part of this Interior and top installation for my 69 or should I leave it up to the experts? I need a new top, pads, well, bucket seat skins, rear seat skins, and carpet. I have been told by a reputable automobile upholstry shop that they would charge the following for labor (I am providing the materials).
Top, Pad, and well $550
Buckets $125 a piece
Rear seat $150
Carpet and underlayment $250

I would never even attempt to install the convertible top, however I think I could do the seat skins and carpets and save the $650. Is there something I should know prior to starting this project? Thanks in advance to all who reply.

[This message has been edited by 1969 (edited 02-17-99).]

[This message has been edited by 1969 (edited 02-17-99).]

·
Registered
27 Posts
If the foam in your buckets is not that bad
you can do them your self. All you need is a hog ring tool some rings and patience.
The carpet and underlayment are real easy.
basically you remove seats, console, and kick panels lay the carpet in and cut to fit. The carpet is already formed to fit. As for the convertible top you should have a pro do that. When you install the seat covers be careful not to make it too loose or too tight
Its really not that difficult. I did all my seats in a couple of hours and I had to make some foam pieces for the bottom sides on my 69.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Check this month's Car Craft magazine. They've outlined redoing your bucket seats step by step with pictures. It seems pretty straight forward. Good luck...

·
Lifetime Founding Member
14,699 Posts
1969, Those prices for labor are outrageous. Steve C. is right. I did my buckets (with new foams), rear seat and carpet. It takes a little time and patience. Get some hog ring pliers and about 200 hog rings. You'll waste some. Also get some silicone spray. This makes pulling the new covers on easier. Make plenty of sketches as you take the old covers off, noting where the hog rings are attached to the covers and seat frames. Be sure to save the metal rods inside the cloth listings that the hog rings clamp around through the cloth. You'll need them to use in the new covers. von

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
All the above have provided very good advice. I would add that if possible lay the seat covers in the sun to warm them up. If it's too cold use a hair dryer on low heat. Be careful not to burn them. Also you can use a red marks-a-lot to mark where the old rings were. On buckets do one at a time, that way you have something to go by. The rear seats and carpet are a snap. Go for it!

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS)

·
Registered
258 Posts
to get a really durable and firm bucket seat, you may need to replace some springs. My 67 buckets were splayed out in the thighs. I had a pro do it. It actually cost more than what you posted (300 for all seats). This included new padding and some springs for the buckets. I probably could have done it, but I don't know if they would look as nice. If you are not building a show car, do it yourself.

------------------
Jameel Qazi
#'s 67 SS

·
Registered
10 Posts
I did my camaro top and seats. I never had any experience in ANYTHING automotive untill this car.Will it be driver/show car?I did a great job on the seats,and a good job on the top.It took 2 people to do the top and I replaced everything for about 300.It looks good.My local shop wanted 1000 w/materials.Read up on the install procedures,I believe that anyone can do anything themselfs and save a ton of cash if they are willing to educate themselfs and have the time.The next time you do one it will be very easy....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.