Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have new seat foam and covers to install.
My question is this:
Do I cut the foam all the way threw the slots that are molded into the foam to allow the list wires to come threw the foam to be hog ringed to springs?
Or do I have to feel my way to find the list wires from the back of the seat to hog ring them down?

Any help opon this would grealty be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,127 Posts
On my 65 the old foams were not cut all the way through... On the new foams I did not cut those areas. Were your old foams cut through in those areas??
I would think that if you did cut them,the foam might slide around and maybe bunch up after time.
Also, you will want a hairdryer to help to stretch the new covers on in some areas...mainly the corners.The hairdryer helped alot installing my new covers,just get the areas warm(not hot)and the new covers will stretch easily.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
On the new foams I did not cut those areas. Were your old foams cut through in those areas??
I would think that if you did cut them,the foam might slide around and maybe bunch up after time.

My old foam was too deteriorated to tell if it was cut or not.
Is that to say that you were able to hog ring the listing wires by just feeling around for them from the back side of the seat?

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,127 Posts
Yes,it will take two hands and lots of pressure.I did mine by putting hog ring into hogring pliers sticking it through the back and/or bottoms through the wire and what ever else that seems to get in the way...then through the foam...then with other hand putting pressure in the area of the cover that the hogring hooks to and looking and feeling where and when to pinch together.I think I remember spreading each hogring apart a little bit to help poke it through everything.

·
Premium Member
Central Iowa
2,127 Posts
Originally posted by LKN BCK:
Yes,it will take two hands and lots of pressure.I did mine by putting hog ring into hogring pliers sticking it through the back and/or bottoms through the wire and what ever else that seems to get in the way...then through the foam...then with other hand putting pressure in the area of the cover that the hogring hooks to and looking and feeling where and when to pinch together.I think I remember spreading each hogring apart a little bit to help poke it through everything.
(Then with the other hand putting pressure in the area of the cover that the hogring hooks to) That is done by reaching under the cover/and pushing the area into the foam.(Between foam and cover)
Also, hook bottoms of seat backs first and work your way Uup the slits to the top and hook rear of seat bottoms and work your way forward in the slits to the front. Then wrap the corners around. I am not a pro but I hope this info helps you. DANO

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks I will give it a try today if the sun comes out so I can lay the covers out to soften them up.
Anougther potential problem I seen was the top of the seat back didn't want to fill well with the foam. (of course I was just doing a preliminary trial fit without hog ringing anything) :confused:
Anyway thanks for the advise.
Dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts