Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there has been a lot of talk on plastic and metal inner fenders. Like what year did they show up, plastic in the salt belt, one metal one plastic and so on. I have a sales alblum for all chevrolet car lines in 1969 and one of the featurs it talks about for chevelles are non corrosive plastic inner fenders in front to prevent corrosian damage to front fenders. So I guess that plastic would be correct for all chevelles 69 and up.

·
Premium Member
9,796 Posts
From my personal experience, it would seem that the plastic inners were very popular. I have 4 '72 chevelles and every one of them has at least one plastic inner. The cars with a mix seem to have gotten the steel inner when crash damage was repaired. I live in the desert southwest and the plastic does not do well in this climate.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a 70 Chevelle built in Baltimore.Car has plastic inners.I had a 70 built in Atlanta and it came with metal ones.I could be wrong but I think only Baltimore cars had plastic ones.At least in 70.Please correct me if I am wrong.By the way anyone want to part with a good set of plastic inners for a 70 Chevelle?Mine are badly cracked.

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Dean -

You'll find lots of Kansas City and Los Angeles built 69's and 70's that also have the plastic, so your theory goes out the window.

------------------
Rainer - Team Chevelle #50 - Gold Member
'68 SS396
'70 LS3 400 Malibu
& the newest - '70 Malibu convertible!
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
12,779 Posts
Mike,
I think it had a lot to do with the area of the country that the car was destined to be sold in. Salty road areas had plastic.
I have a 71 Heavy Chevy that I bought new and it has plastic. I also had a 72 Chevelle company car at one time, and it had metal ? Go figure, both in the Washington DC area.

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1971 Heavy Chevy - original owner
Team Chevelle #100

·
Registered
446 Posts
My 69 Malibu was ordered from the Fremont plant for delivery to the Bay Area- Plastic- they NEVER salt the roads out there.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since the sales alblum says they were to be installed with plastic I would assume thats the way the factory intended to build them. They may have had a problem with thier supplier, more lefts than right or vice-versa. Maybe they had to get rid of the leftover metal ones. My 69 was sold new in Oklahoma to a person with a texas address. It had plastic. I know the after 72 they went to plastic on all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.