Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to order Plastic Inner fenders for a 70 Chevelle, but all the local companies here go through Original Parts, and they no longer carry them(re-tooling because the holes don't line up i'm told). Anybody know of a place that actually still carries them?

[This message has been edited by BADSS (edited 07-19-99).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Yeah!I have been looking for 6 months now!Good luck!Let me know if you run across an extra pair of NOS.Don't I wish!

------------------
Dean Ciampi
Autumn Gold 1970 LS6 Chevelle
Team Chevelle Gold #52 Aces #3094

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Nobody carries the aftermarket plastic wells anymore because they didn't fit. Steel is a much better choice.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have heard, and someone please correct me if I'm wrong as that is the purpose of this forum, that GM installed plastic inner fenders are cars destined for "high salt" winter markets. Is this true? I've heard that some people have one steel and one plastic on seemingly original cars. I understand that assembly lines use what they have but what did GM intend? Does anyone know?

I have steels in my 70 SS396, but I also suspect a front end collision was in the car's dark distant past (wrong rad support, a replacement grill (sans body color on center bar) cracked and missing stainless trim). I have to say that I like the steels in there, as they add strength to the front end (at least in my mind.)

------------------
??michael Team Chevelle Gold #77
70 Chevelle SS396 Fathom Blue/White Stripes - Canadian built

·
Registered
283 Posts
When I bought my Elky fromt he previous owner, he put on lighweight plastic inner fenders. I like them a lot better because the old steel ones would rust when water dripped down on them. I can't remember where he bought them though, but I've seen tons of them at swap meets.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It is NOT true that the plastic inners were for the salty rough winter areas.How much snow have you seen in Oakland, California?
My 69 was ordered and then built in Fremont, Ca. for delivery in Oakland. It came with the plastics.
They used what they had.Buy the metal ones, they shine up better.

·
Registered
8 Posts
BADSS call Ausley's Chevelle parts. I seen them this last weekend at Indy Super Chevy Show and they had plastic ones there at the show for sale!!

[email protected]
Troy

1969 Chevelle Malibu Custom Aqua/Black
1968 Chevelle Pro-Street

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ground Up Restorations www.grounduppm.com has them in stock 68-72 plastin $249.95 pr. I would still prefer metal

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks guys I appreciate the help in locating these inners.I too prefer the metal ones,but my car came stock with the plastic ones and I am doing a concours.Thanks

------------------
Dean Ciampi

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have a good pair of metals that I may consider trading for a good pair of plastics. My plastics are cracked, and the metals can be repaired easier (unless there is a way to fix them that I'm not aware of).

·
Gold Founding Member
63,776 Posts
We need to give our sponsor, Ground Up Restorations as much business as we can.

Dean, Just curious, how would anyone ever know which type the car had originally.

The plastic ones do break pretty easily, especially if you are using an impact wrench to remove the bolts and forget it is in the "tighten" position

------------------
Dean Call
Team Gold member #3
A.C.E.S. # 00235
N.C.O.A. # 4350

macc.chevelles.net

[This message has been edited by Dean (edited 08-02-99).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Dean,
To my understanding all 70 Baltimore Chevelles had plastic ones.I don't know of any other plant that used them.I have never seen a 70 Baltimore Chevelle with metal ones from the factory.Anybody out there have???

------------------
Dean Ciampi

·
Registered
158 Posts
My 70 still has it's original plastic inner fenders. Since my Chevelle was built in Canada, the plastic inners have "GM of Canada" stamped into the plastic. So no, all plastic inners were not used in Baltimore only, I think they were used everywhere...like someone said, they used what they had available I believe.
I love them, no rust, no dings/dents, no painting, no scratches and just a little soap & water and a coating of armorall makes em look brand new.

------------------
Bob
Email: [email protected]
My Chevelle: members.aol.com/rdcnh/70index.html
Team Chevelle Gold Member #169
New England Chevelle & El Camino Assoc. #085

[This message has been edited by Bob70 (edited 08-03-99).]

·
Registered
233 Posts
Thanks Bob,
Has anyone ever seen a 70 Baltimore Chevelle with metal ones from the factory?I think all they used was plastic.Mine came with them and I thought it was common knowledge that all 70 Chevelles built in Baltimore had them.

------------------
Dean Ciampi

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.