Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 71 chevelle and the front fenders are generally in great shape. Now i purchased the car in which it didn't have the inner fenders. So i am looking to add these in and when i went to go bolt them in i noticed on the tabs around the wheel area the tabs are either gone or totally cut off. So i am curious what guys have done. The fenders are in way too good of shape to just toss. I thought about re-drilling smaller holes and using smaller bolts for around the wheel. OR fabricate some new tabs and get someone to weld them on.

Thoughts

·
Registered
1969 Grand Prix. 455 TH400 12 bolt.
514 Posts
You could rivet some tabs on, not risk warpage and take care of it yourself that way. If you have enough overlap to put a bunch of 1/4" (minimum) holes and use bolts with broad free spinning washers (just a smaller version of whats there and more of them), that'd be my pick. 5/16" if you can. Screws ain't floating my boat. Rivets for tabs might hide under the well edge? I dunno. Theres my thoughts. I'm an old car bodyman so my official work answer would be butt welded tabs.

·
Registered
1964 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 4 door
2,645 Posts
You're missing a lot of structural stability by not running the inner fenders. They help to stiffen the front end of the car, I did the same and was surprised once I installed them. I wouldn't use little bolts as they might fail when the front flexes pulling into an uneven driveway or something similar. The factory used large bolts for a reason. ;)

As others have said above, I would get the tabs back on, SOLIDLY mounted. If there's enough meat left maybe rivnuts? Previous owner did you an injustice modifying the fenders that way, sorry to hear it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts