Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone running a combo of say 36* at idle with 8* to 10* at idle via the can?

·
Registered
634 Posts
I run a little more starter friendly 24* initial + 12*. 9* via the can.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am not even going to get involved with this one, other's total insanity is not fixable.
Explain? Is there something I dont know here from a previous conversation?

·
Registered
634 Posts
???

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
369 Posts
I think Dave is trying to be EXTREMELY nice to you and your choices of ignition timing.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think Dave is trying to be EXTREMELY nice to you and your choices of ignition timing.
Sorry. I just dont see why trying to nice has anything to do with anything. I should of asked why would he be mean in a reply?

What I asked is not a choice.

I havent seen much on take and was wondering if someone might chime in.

·
Premium Member
1970 El Camino SS396, VortecPro 467, ATI TH400, Moser 12 bolt /TruTrac 3:42, Hedman headers
369 Posts
At the risk of starting a fecal storm, I would highly suggest you take the time to read Dave's older posts and there are others who are well versed in distributors and timing settings. Don't be offended, you have to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
At the risk of starting a fecal storm, I would highly suggest you take the time to read Dave's older posts and there are others who are well versed in distributors and timing settings. Don't be offended, you have to be able to separate the wheat from the chaff.
Ok, no worries.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sorry, I just wanted to give you something to compare to. I didn’t want to write an encyclopedia. Not sure what was going on here. Do a search on IGN 101. Some good information in there and others.

·
Premium Member
6,706 Posts
Didn't even mention TF/FC on the street.

I read an article about Vizard doing something like that but with some kind of electronic timing control. Idled at 40 something & dropped back to 36 off idle. Probably read the story in HR or CC.

Reactions: potent rodent

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sorry, I just wanted to give you something to compare to. I didn’t want to write an encyclopedia. Not sure what was going on here. Do a search on IGN 101. Some good information in there and others.
I have read that one countless times. I have been a member here since 1997.

Reactions: 71350SS

·
Registered
634 Posts
I see that. Well, just tying to help. I’m out.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
13,791 Posts
22*+8* vac. Total idle timing. Be advised this is a “top fuel curve” and only the brave can handle.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
22*+8* vac. Total idle timing. Be advised this is a “top fuel curve” and only the brave can handle.
Top fuel curve? LOL What does that mean.

That idle timing you have is similar to what my Dad runs.

He runs 18* at idle with 12* can for 30*

·
Registered
288 Posts
I have mine set at 15 initial, 36 total all in by 3000. I tried lighter springs yielding all in by 2400 and the car did not like it. It caused the car to buck.

Ported vacuum advance....Zero vacuum advance at idle. Tried manifold. I prefer my consistent idle speed over any tiny improvement in fuel economy while idling.

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have mine set at 15 initial, 36 total all in by 3000. I tried lighter springs yielding all in by 2400 and the car did not like it. It caused the car to buck.

Ported vacuum advance....Zero vacuum advance at idle. Tried manifold. I prefer my consistent idle speed over any tiny improvement in fuel economy while idling.
Thanks for chiming in.

It looks by you signature that your 385 is very very mild. I bet it is really torquey and pulls great up to around 5500 to 5700. Probably has a very very smooth idle with just 15* of timing at idle.

What do you mean by buck? Can you explain that some more?

On my Dads 383 we have it all in by 2100 and I dont see any difference in either setting. Our combo is slightly larger with bigger heads and cam.

I run the can on manifold vacuum because my Dads cam needs more that 18*. With just 18* it seems dead and the throttle response off idle is dead. The car could use a full point of compression as the cam is on a 112 lsa and somewhat mild.

The compression is at 10 to 1 and idle timing is at 30*. The idle is much cleaner and has better response. Engine just seems to sound much better too.

The cam is 226/234 @ .050 for .536/.536 lift.

How much does your can add?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts