Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Which Grease Cartridge??

• Royal Purple Ultra-Performance

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mystik JT-6

Votes: 4 33.3%
  • Red Line Synthetic

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Lucas Oil Red N' Tacky

Votes: 6 50.0%
  • Champion Poly 7

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be installing the new UMI front springs in my Chevelle, along with new Proforged lower ball joints, and my Bilstein shocks. I am needing to find a good grease to use in the ball joints. I have been using the Mobil 1 synthetic grease cartridges in my grease gun, but after only a short time, it starts to leak out as a red liquid. If it is doing that in my grease gun, what is it doing in my ball joints and other components?? I did try the Green Grease in the past, but that stuff is messy and my front end would start creaking after a rain storm (without even driving it) while using that stuff.

I see that there are some available now that I did not see before, like the Lucas Oil Red N' Tacky, the Mystik JT-6 (normal, high temp, and lo temp), the Redline Synthetic, the Champion Poly 7, and the Royal Purple Ultra-Performance.

So, I need to find a good grease that won't do that. Let me know which grease you have had good luck with, that won't turn to a liquid mess in the grease gun. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
I have been using Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease for decades. I started using it on my dirt bikes, ATV's and Jet-Ski's. And eventually anything that had a grease-able bearing. It works great on the wheel bearing on my Jet-Ski Trailer that gets dunked in the water every weekend. Been using on the Chevelle wheel bearing for about 10 years now. Never thins or leaks out. You can get it at just about any Motorcycle shop, Or here's some links to Amazon. It is available in a 16oz Tub or a 14oz Cartridge.

Bel-Ray Waterproof Grease | Bel-Ray Company, Inc

Amazon.com: 99540:

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
UMI has a clear synthetic grease. Summit racing sells it. It wont leak out.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
I like the Red & Tacky. I think it has the same adhesion stuff in it that climbing gear oil has. I've been using it forever and I've never noticed it leaking out as a liquid. I'll keep using it!

Reactions: 70CHEVELLE396

·
Registered
4,810 Posts
The most important thing for a general purpose wheel bearing / chassis lube is that it is marked NLGI #2 LB-GC. I use Mystik JT-6 Hi-temp.

https://www.nlgi.org/certifications/product/

If it doesn't carry the NLGI "LB" marking, you do not want it in critical suspension components like Ball joints and tie rods (urethane bushings are a different story). Likewise, wheel bearing grease should have the "GC" marking.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
The most important thing for a general purpose wheel bearing / chassis lube is that it is marked NLGI #2 LB-GC
Interesting to know and thanks for posting this info!

I happy to report that the Red & Tacky also meets this specification.

I love it when a product I've been using for years because I felt it "looked good" actually is good.

·
Administrator
16,207 Posts
Our NAPA store is in a rural area and most of our accounts are in farming and ranching. Mystic JT-6 is their number one choice to protect the equipment that spends all of its life in dirt, dust and mud. I use it for all our vehicles.

·
Premium Member
3,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I do lube the parts regularly. I went ahead and bought some of the Lucas Oil Red N' Tacky. We'll see how it does.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts