Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Putting in my new engine, 350 with 350HP, 350 trans. I drained all the fluid from the trans and converter. What things should I be aware of when first starting up car. Should I fill the converter with oil before putting back together, or will that happen automatically once the car is started? I heard that you should run the car in neutral for awhile to get everything flowing. Any input???? Dennis

·
Registered
283 Posts
I put two quarts in the converter and six in the trans, then it's on it's own until after cam break-in

------------------
Harley
69 461 El Camino Nitrous Model, 69 Chevelle coupe
70 El Camino,71 SS Camaro
79 Corvette
Kerrville,Tx.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I think the TH350 takes approx 10qts, depending on the converter size???
I forgot to put any tranny fluid in my first transplant & guess what .... it felt like I was on a back country road, while in the drive way

------------------
Lowered '67 Elcamino
ZZ430 eng / 4L60E trans
"Canyon Carver"

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Cardiac- If I remember right, you're right.

Ragtop sent me this via AIM:
TH-350- 10qt
Th-400- 9.5 qt.
PG- 11 qt
(thats off the top of my head.)

I know this may sound trivial, but Dennis I hope you meant ATF not oil!(you probably knew but I just want to make sure you dont put motor oil in your trans, one of my buddies did that once and had to get his TH-350 rebuilt twice in his Chevy II)
------------------
Steve
64SS-327-4spd-sold to Original owner!
65 Malibu 283/PG!!!
www.angelfire.com/ca4/chevelle/
Team Chevelle Member #71

[This message has been edited by Steve D 64 SS (edited 11-16-99).]

·
Administrator
16,197 Posts
Dennis, When I do a start up on a new engine I leave the torque convertor unbolted from the flexplate, that way I only have to deal with the engine initial run in. After the 20 minutes at 2000 rpm, I let it cool down and bolt up the trans and get it topped off with oil and then go back and set timing, idle speed, ect. I had a trans start to leak and had to shut the engine down and when I got it started again it wiped out the cam, it may have been just coincidence but I don't want to go thru that again.

------------------
Philip Valentine
Lakeside, AZ
Team Chevelle Member #42 GOLD
[email protected]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.