Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How's it going guys? My question doesn't related to my chevelle, but rather to my camaro (1995 Z28). I was pulling up my driveway today, being real light on the clutch (my driveway is steep and covered in snow)and I accidentally killed the car. Embarassing, I know, but hey, it happens to the best of us sometimes. I didnt think anything of it until I went to start the car back up and everything was COMPLETELY DEAD. Nothing electrical is working on the car whatsoever. What the heck happened???? I checked all of my fuses, and they seem fine, checked my battery just incase the ground came loose of something, but it is fine. I checked all the other grounds I could find on the car, and they are fine. Does anyone know what might have happened, or what I should check for?? This is my daily driver, and i'm absolutely screwed if I'm not going to be able to drive it. I can't afford to miss work, or college. I'd REALLY appreciate any advice you guys can give.

Thanks

-Ben

·
Premium Member
2,173 Posts
Ok, let's look at the options:

- I'm assuming NO electricals mean no lights either???? Try jumping it from another car/battery. Don't know how you checked the battery. Not saying you didn't do it right, but it's just a suggestion. If it starts, clean/replace battery connectors. Also, if the battery is good and you have NO electric, it can only be a couple (read 2000, just kidding) of things; the positive or negative connections, the GROUND connection to the block or body/frame, or the fusible link or fuse to the fuse block.

If you have NO electrical with the key on or in the ACC position, it's the supply to the fuse panel.

John, jump on in. It's time for my medication.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Without a schematic it's a tough call. Yeah your guess that the main link opened may be right. Problem is I'm not sure where it's at. Late Camaros had some links near the battery but not sure if they are the main link. They look like plastic blocks with a number on them such as "16". The link is the softer wire attached to the block.
Dean could be right that the link comes off the starter. That's where is was on earlier cars.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a voltage meter, but have no idea how to use it. Electrically i'm an idiot. Pretty much all I know are the very basics. How do I go about checking these things?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I tried jumping it with a battery charger, and it didn't work, so i know it's not that. I checked all the fuses, and they all look good to me. All the fuses in both the fuse boxes that is......there aren't anymore hidden somewhere right? I just don't get it. ABSOLUTELY NOTHING electrical is working. How could that just happen all of a sudden? I mean I was just pulling up into my driveway, accidently killed the car (i mean with the clutch), went to restart it, and then all of a sudden EVERYTHING is dead. ??????????????????

Thanks for the help guys......i'm more than open to suggestions/help.

- Ben

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
When you connect the battery charger does anything in the car work? I asuume not.
Well, you don't know how to use a meter so that doesn't help.
You might want to see if the main power comes off the starter as Dean suggested. Look under the car at the starter. There is a large lead attached to the starter. This is the same wire that comes from battery (+). See if there is another wire attached to the starter on the same terminal as the large lead. They will be screwed down together but it will be a smaller wire. See if you can see anything wrong with the smaller lead.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts