Chevelles.com banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Scott, I guess I got that backwards, I'd port match the intake to the heads. I'm using an oval port intake.

I wouldn't assume an intake will perfectly match the heads so while I have the valves out, it's a no brainer to bolt them up to check the ports.

·
Registered
6,365 Posts
Leave them alone. That's about as much air as you want to try and shove through that port architecture. The 300's flow more air but are horribly unstable and turbulent. 360-370cfm is enough for well over 800hp. You will do better to spend the time on getting the intake to fit the openings in the heads and make a nice transition in the intake runner. The "ROval" port opening in the heads has a lot of area and will more more air than most oval port intakes are designed to move. If the Edelbrock TR is a street oval port TR, you should port the entire runner to make it "right".
Can you elaborate a bit more on the AFR 300's? Is the turbulence in the port itself, or in the chamber? Or is it turbulence after the intake manifold port because the transition is typically so bad?

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Think he means if I need to stick guides or liners in them it.
Also I may/may not have to get similar work done on some of these import heads if I keep playing with them ones bound to be bad

Got your pm thanks. I had a high end place do a vj...aside from the one that leaked it was the wrong one and i lost almost 20cfm I know what youre saying.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Curious as to why you'd want to find a shop that can duplicate the AFR valve job if it sucks?
It's the quality of the valve job that would be in question, not the design. Concentricity and consistency of depth from cyl to cyl. The angles are not something you want to change unless you know what you're doing.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Can you elaborate a bit more on the AFR 300's? Is the turbulence in the port itself, or in the chamber? Or is it turbulence after the intake manifold port because the transition is typically so bad?
It's in the port itself. The opening of the port in relation to the deck is very low which makes the short turn transition very abrupt and just doesn't lend itself to a lot of airspeed. You can make the ports big and move a decent amount of air, they're just going to get unstable and turbulent at some point and not much you can do about it.

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Scott, I guess I got that backwards, I'd port match the intake to the heads. I'm using an oval port intake.

I wouldn't assume an intake will perfectly match the heads so while I have the valves out, it's a no brainer to bolt them up to check the ports.
You'll want to have the heads bolted on the block you're going to run with the head gasket in place (or shims the same thickness) and a pair of intake gaskets in place in order to really know how the ports are going to line up.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
You'll want to have the heads bolted on the block you're going to run with the head gasket in place (or shims the same thickness) and a pair of intake gaskets in place in order to really know how the ports are going to line up.

Yessir, that's how it's done.

·
Registered
128 Posts
It'd be great to have Tony (formerly of AFR), who designed their Oval Magnums, as well as various noted engine builders, provide some additional perspective on the 300 Ovals to what has been said

Member Stokerboats has something of value to add on the 300s, I'm sure.

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
128 Posts
AFR guy here, but...

This head is sure worth comparative consideration by the discerning...

_________ Brodix: BP RR BB-3 XTRA O™________

Could likely be talked into testing a set...:thumbsup:

·
Vendor
9,138 Posts
Exactly. I bought a pair of assembled heads, the valves are suspect, the springs are suspect and the titanium retainers are suspect. I'm not real confident in them at all. I'm already on the valve job, valve seat correction plan. Yes, they were cheap enough but by the time all is said and done, how cheap will they have been? That said, the castings are damned nice and from what I see, only one head gasket works, (1017-1). I know the Cometic 4.6 gasket didn't work. I thought that was weird.
We got in a set of $5500 castings that we had to completely go through because the final machine work was unacceptable. Just FYI, there is not a stainless valve made in the USA. Your choice of South America, Israel, China, India, Taiwan. Last I knew, ProMaxx was using valves out of South America. They make a very nice valve at BBB. They buy springs from PAC. They buy their valve locks from me.

·
Vendor
9,138 Posts
It'd be great to have Tony (formerly of AFR), who designed their Oval Magnums, as well as various noted engine builders, provide some additional perspective on the 300 Ovals to what has been said

Member Stokerboats has something of value to add on the 300s, I'm sure.

:thumbsup:
Just bring a set over and we will put them on the bench. You can't flow them without hearing protection. Now put a set of AFR265's or AFR290's on the bench and you can carry on a conversation while they are on the bench. Some guys say it doesn't matter if it's noisy. Scott's circle of head guys that he talks with beg to differ.

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
One guide (too tight) is good now.
Will have to have someone who does this every day do the other 2 just looser than id like to see. Wil check runout first
Rest of the head I have to say is real nice. Makes me wanna throw my sbc stuff out lol

·
Registered
211 Posts
Mr cuisenvet. Did you buy the head or did the csr owner? And why the afr 290. My guy just bought a set of flotek 290s i have spoken about here from speier racing heads. He bought them bare and mr speier did the seat guides and installed ferrea valves the and valve job. All cheched over and ready to bolt for under 1100 which i fell is pretty respectable. John will spring retainer and lock them one he figures the cam out for his 427. I do not thing there is a better value in the head market then the speier floteks from what i have seen. After all is said and done they checked to 114 cc chambers and flowed 363 at .650. So when one gets the heads loaded i think these will hold there own pretty well. Springs locks retainer are the price they are so if checked over and valve job done correctly under 1100 seems like a good deal to look at.

RH

·
Registered
4,041 Posts
Mr cuisenvet. Did you buy the head or did the csr owner? And why the afr 290. My guy just bought a set of flotek 290s i have spoken about here from speier racing heads. He bought them bare and mr speier did the seat guides and installed ferrea valves the and valve job. All cheched over and ready to bolt for under 1100 which i fell is pretty respectable. John will spring retainer and lock them one he figures the cam out for his 427. I do not thing there is a better value in the head market then the speier floteks from what i have seen. After all is said and done they checked to 114 cc chambers and flowed 363 at .650. So when one gets the heads loaded i think these will hold there own pretty well. Springs locks retainer are the price they are so if checked over and valve job done correctly under 1100 seems like a good deal to look at.

RH
Is there a reason for this post other than to pump Chad? Not saying there's anything wrong with the Flotek head, or Chad for that matter. Just wondering because "your guy" (John) seems to love to do the same thing over on YB. Pointless post other than that.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sorry did not realize that ask someone why they choose what they did was a worthless question. And giving our personal findings that others might not be aware of is wrong. Just figured that people use these forums to discuss performance related products. This is a direct question to mr crusvette. Maybe he did not know of another 290 oval head. Or that for the price mr speier himself went thru and did the checks that many in this thread said that one must check over every head. Even the 5500 dollar heads. Figured our results add value for others to see and be better informed.

RH

·
Premium Member
15,850 Posts
Re: Help with new crate engine overheating

I think he was "pumping" having a head-savvy machinist set up the heads and not rely on out-of-the-box production work, and not necessarily Chad.

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Rick, this guy wanted the brand and was dead set on it. Should be ok on his 454 but may go 496 & convert to rolller;thus the reason for choosing them over the 265s. He owned a rod shop many yrs ago & knows about "saving money"...in fact he had a 9 sec HD back in the 90s he rode every day
Hes not interested in offshore type heads, others are ok with it. For some money isnt the issue but they expect no problems.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Ok understandable. If i stepped on toes sorry did not mean to. Just giving some experience i have person experience with. I know very well the money is no object from the sprint car days.

RH

·
Registered
11,956 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
No problem here! Some like the import castings and picking them up to get cheap power, kinda torn on that one.
Have a set here Ive debated using just to see how they compare just dont have the time/spine for it right now.
Im not really qualified to comment on building like the pros here are. Curious to see someones review after say 5k miles.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts