Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know from research that I have done on the web for a good bang for the buck hydraulic roller lifter that there are various posts on the origin of some of the cheaper lifters out there, so I thought I would share what I was told yesterday by tech support guys at Howard's and Lunati. Both told me that their entire line are made by Morel. The guy at Lunati, who seemed very knowledgeable, went on to say that the difference between the cheapest lifters and the more expensive lifters was that cheaper one use an off the shelf roller used on oem lifters made by the millions, but the high end use a custom roller that has a much lower volume which drives up the cost.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
I've been wondering who makes COMP hydraulic roller lifters....I see that Speed-Pros look identical.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
hmmm I wonder if something has changed in the last year, of if the info Ive seen was faulty.

I was under the impression that concerning Howards lifters, only part numbers 91163,91162,91170,91171,91188,91189,91198,91199,91288,91298 are made by Morel.

The guy that made this claim said he's a master distributor for Howards components. I cant make a guarantee on this, but im just telling you what a distributor of howards stuff said somewhat recently.

I havent looked at every single one of those part numbers...but if you have seen them, or if can find real pics of them, there is a difference in the lifter bodies between these lifters, and models below them(making it plausible that the origin of their lifters varies depending on which one we're talking about).

·
Registered
495 Posts
I think there is more to it than this. Why would the roller even matter unless it is a larger diameter to handle larger lobe profiles. I think there is more to the body differences. I hope that anyway as I am the proud owner of some $600 Morels!

·
Vendor
9,492 Posts
I know from research that I have done on the web for a good bang for the buck hydraulic roller lifter that there are various posts on the origin of some of the cheaper lifters out there, so I thought I would share what I was told yesterday by tech support guys at Howard's and Lunati. Both told me that their entire line are made by Morel. The guy at Lunati, who seemed very knowledgeable, went on to say that the difference between the cheapest lifters and the more expensive lifters was that cheaper one use an off the shelf roller used on oem lifters made by the millions, but the high end use a custom roller that has a much lower volume which drives up the cost.
Not correct.
The Street Series lifters intent was to be used with GM Hot cams and that is it. They are not designed for engines using cams with duration @ .050" over 230. These lifters were intended to compete with the cheap Chinese stuff coming in to the USA.

The bodies are cast and and machined. The axle, needles, and wheel are built to OEM specs and the IMPORTANT thing is the wheel is .700" diameter. The valving is OEM and the specs on leakdown are OEM.

The Sportsman, Ultra PRO, and Extreme lifters are all fully machine bodies from Steels. The axles, needles, and Rollers are all from tool steel with propriotary heat treat from Morel. The Wheels on the Sportsman and Ultra Pro are .750", on the Extreme they are .820" as that lifter is only available in .903". Tie bars are stainless and the buttons are steel.

·
Vendor
9,492 Posts
Danny,
No disrespect but please modify your information in this post as it is not accurate at all and will just lead to more confusion. Again not being an A$$ but the difference between the Street Series and the rest of the stuff is more then just the roller.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts
there was a big discussion on a GTO site I was looking at the other day. They got into this whole thing about the Morels and their "experts" were claiming the same thing. I PMed Chris and he straightened it out for me...don't believe everything you read on the internet..if I did my car would be running 10.70's....;)

·
Vendor
9,492 Posts
there was a big discussion on a GTO site I was looking at the other day. They got into this whole thing about the Morels and their "experts" were claiming the same thing. I PMed Chris and he straightened it out for me...don't believe everything you read on the internet..if I did my car would be running 10.70's....;)
Send me a link to the GTO board Dave when you get a chance.

·
Premium Member
9,919 Posts
I know this is mostly a thread about Morel HR lifters but I have noticed that Comp,Crower & Sealed Power HR lifters all look alike.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bodies are cast and and machined. The axle, needles, and wheel are built to OEM specs and the IMPORTANT thing is the wheel is .700" diameter. The valving is OEM and the specs on leakdown are OEM.

No offense taken I am just sharing what I was told, but I would point out the above statement can't be correct either. they can't be cast, unless the guy I talked to was lying. He said they are cold forged. Lunati description claims cold cast, Howard's say cold formed. I teach materials and process at a local tech college and cold cast is a misnomer cast means to melt and pour into a mold, which can't be done cold, cold formed is another name for cold forged. I did ask both guys if the valving was made by Morel and they both said it was.

As far as the cost difference the guy at Lunati said that the roller on the cheaper line is $3 and the roller on the higher end is $10. He said these aren't exact numbers just an example.

·
Premium Member
7,015 Posts

·
Vendor
9,492 Posts
No offense taken I am just sharing what I was told, but I would point out the above statement can't be correct either. they can't be cast, unless the guy I talked to was lying. He said they are cold forged. Lunati description claims cold cast, Howard's say cold formed. I teach materials and process at a local tech college and cold cast is a misnomer cast means to melt and pour into a mold, which can't be done cold, cold formed is another name for cold forged. I did ask both guys if the valving was made by Morel and they both said it was.

As far as the cost difference the guy at Lunati said that the roller on the cheaper line is $3 and the roller on the higher end is $10. He said these aren't exact numbers just an example.
Cold cast is correct, OEM spec, I typed to quick. Valving on the Street lifter is VERY different from the other series. I've got over 13 year with dealing with Morel.

If you want to call me I will go over this with you. 423 854 0007

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
To get to the bottom of this maybe some more people should call with similar questions to see what kind of answers we get. Obviously this doesn't matter to allot of you guys building high powered, high rpm race motors, but for the rest of us trying to wrestle with cost of hydraulic roller for a budget street motor it would be great to not have to spend $500-$600 for good set of reliable lifters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cold cast maybe a correct term, but like I said I teach materials and process, I studied mechanics of materials and metallurgy to get my engineering degree, worked at fortune 300 company as an engineer for 17 years did consulting for 6 years and havr been teaching for nine years and I have never heard of that term other referring to plastics. I even did a search to see if it was a new process I am not familiar with, after all I am old, and found nothing. Must be a marketing term not and actual manufacturing process.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Many guys have been using GM LS7 lifters without problems on alot of high hp builds. They are great budget lifter IMO.

·
Vendor
9,492 Posts
Many guys have been using GM LS7 lifters without problems on alot of high hp builds. They are great budget lifter IMO.
Justin,
I supply several of major LS vendors in the LS world and my sales of Morel Link bar stuff is up 10fold from 3 years ago. That ceramic ball in the valving is trick but when it comes apart....its a nasty clean up.

·
Vendor
9,492 Posts
Cold cast maybe a correct term, but like I said I teach materials and process, I studied mechanics of materials and metallurgy to get my engineering degree, worked at fortune 300 company as an engineer for 17 years did consulting for 6 years and havr been teaching for nine years and I have never heard of that term other referring to plastics. I even did a search to see if it was a new process I am not familiar with, after all I am old, and found nothing. Must be a marketing term not and actual manufacturing process.
In the auto industry I have heard Chilled Iron, Cold Cast, Perma Cast, you name it. The bodied is supplied by a Tier 1 supplier of very reputable means. It is an OEM body made to OEM specs. So whatever process GM/Ford/Chrysler use that is what it is. Morel other lifters are machined from Bar stock.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Justin,
I supply several of major LS vendors in the LS world and my sales of Morel Link bar stuff is up 10fold from 3 years ago. That ceramic ball in the valving is trick but when it comes apart....its a nasty clean up.
I bet it is. For the top of the line streetbuild, i'd use Morels but for a budget street build, the LS7's dont seem to be a bad option for 120 bucks a set. I should have upgraded to the morels when I had the chance, but I was lazy and didnt want to tear down my motor to get at them. I pray this doesnt bite me in the ass

1 - 20 of 49 Posts