Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who does everyone use for image hosting to embed pics within their posts now? I can't access my pics on Photobucket anymore and I just tried Google Photos and it is pretty cumbersome with Google Chrome.

Photobucket had a dialogue box where it would copy the info to your clipboard, so you could directly paste it into a posting on this site. This included the
prefix and suffix.

Google photos doesn't really have that option and you need to copy the address and then add the
prefix and suffix to be able to post the actual pic.

I know there are other sites which make it easy for us people to post to sites which don't offer photo hosting...

Thanks in advance....grr

·
Premium Member
1,362 Posts
I lost every single digital image I had of my 67 Chevelle build on a "free" site. Just up and vanished. Gone.

If you have images you really care about, obviously back them up on an external hard drive, etc.

Pretty cheap to buy a URL and a blog like wordpress and control it yourself. Wish I had done that, but lessons are hard to learn sometimes.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are several listed when you google "free image hosting"
Image shack seems to be a fairly popular one I think. https://imageshack.us/

Photobucket works fine for me, I wonder why it doesn't work for you. :confused:
Neither do I, but I've tried from 2 different computers, logged into a VPN and without the VPN with and without wireless or hardwired. Mike the Admin. also tried and he had the same issues as I do. If I can ever retrieve the pictures, I will but as of right now, there isn't anything I can do.

I lost a lot of pics quite a while ago when AOL stopped their photo service and this was while I was still paying for AOL. Picaso is now Google photos, or something. It seems these companies change owners so often and the new owner has a new and better idea, but it is rarely better. It doesn't seem to matter if you pay for the service, or not.

The sites are convenient because they are a central place where you can keep all of your pics, even when you change cameras, phones or computers.

I don't mind paying, but that doesn't seem to matter....If I only knew how to get a URL and what it takes to store pics, I probably would. While I am an Engineer, I graduated college just as hand held calculators were being introduced. We had to do the math with a sliderule and by hand. I was happy when we got a Frieden mechanical calculator to figure out the square root of numbers...Hahaha..

I still draw and design everyday in 3D, but that doesn't make me computer literate....

grr

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
I used to use imageshack years ago, but it is no longer free. They also got rid of all my older photos from way back.

I use photobucket now, but it is brutally slow on my computer. Takes forever for all the ads, scripts, etc to load. I have high speed internet, so it's either the website itself or something on that site that doesn't work well with my browser (Firefox).

I'm getting close to trying another service.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
I used to use imageshack years ago, but it is no longer free. They also got rid of all my older photos from way back.

I use photobucket now, but it is brutally slow on my computer. Takes forever for all the ads, scripts, etc to load. I have high speed internet, so it's either the website itself or something on that site that doesn't work well with my browser (Firefox).

I'm getting close to trying another service.
Download AdBlock Plus. It will get rid of almost all of the ads. Photobucket will be much faster.
James

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Download AdBlock Plus. It will get rid of almost all of the ads. Photobucket will be much faster.
James
I agree 100%. I use it on all my Windows computers. Now that Window 10 & Edge browser support extensions, you can add AdBlock Plus to it as well via the Windows App Store. If I go to a site (typically new sites) that say "Ad Blocker Detected" and ask to turn it off, I typically just close the site, if it is a site I really want to see, you can turn it off just for that site.

Reactions: Slick71ss

·
Premium Member
3,311 Posts
Thanks for the advice about AdBlock Plus! Photobucket loads up much faster now!

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Dean, I'm sure in no time, as the most popular image host continues holding more users hostage every day, thousands of posts here are gonna have blocked image links. Is there an image storage/uploader within the Chevelles website? Other forums I'm member of have it and I'm changing hundreds of my images from Photo Bucket to forum uploaders.

ALSO, how do we go back to posts to edit them to re-post photos when the posts won't allow editing after a set amount of time?

Reactions: Kirk's67SS

·
Super Moderator
1966 Chevelle SS396
8,281 Posts
Dean, I'm sure in no time, as the most popular image host continues holding more users hostage every day, thousands of posts here are gonna have blocked image links. Is there an image storage/uploader within the Chevelles website? Other forums I'm member of have it and I'm changing hundreds of my images from Photo Bucket to forum uploaders.

ALSO, how do we go back to posts to edit them to re-post photos when the posts won't allow editing after a set amount of time?
The powers that be are looking into that.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,332 Posts
grrr, if doing a new thread you can add the photos directly to the posts. Chevelles.com will host them for free. I don't think we're going away anytime soon. This site is a cash cow for VS.

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,332 Posts
Paul,

on the forum topics display page where you see the list of threads there's a "Post New Topic" for starting a new thread. It brings a page to post a new thread or topic. it's more complete page with more options than what you normally on the "Quick Reply" deal. scroll down on that page and you see a "More Options" section. in that section there is a place to "Attach Files" go there and you get a typical window that allows to browse the files on your hard drive(s). I think you can do 4 at a time, that's per post. There is also a drag and drop option if you find that quicker.

I think you used to have to have at least one letter in the title or body of the post.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Thanks Tom!

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
How come no mention of opening an album on TC?
I just started one last week and it seems to be good.I only have a few pictures loaded but,I put them into a thread and it was easy.
Will it be better than any other photo hosting site? Or can you just load a few?

·
Registered
947 Posts
Yup....just lost all my embedded photobucket pics in my build thread. I have them backed up so they are not gone forever, that is the good news. But for some reason when I try to attach pics directly to my post, it likes to rotate them 180 degrees, then I have to go back and fix them and reattach them again.

I'd like to go back through my thread and fix all the photos so they show up but I'm going to wait it out a bit and see what the best options are.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I have them backed up so they are not gone forever, that is the good news.
You can go to photobucket and save them to your computer.
They sent me an email when they changed to 3rd party hosting.
This is part of the email.
Can I download my Photos?

Absolutely, at any time. It is an easy four step process:​
Step 1. Login to your Photobucket Account​
Step 2. Navigate to your library page​
Step 3. View a photo and click the download button​
Step 4. The picture will be saved to your computer​

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Also, this is why they changed.$$$
They got you hooked,then want $100.00 fee to use it the way you`ve been using it for years.
Why Photobucket?

Photobucket is the global destination for linking and 3rd party hosting.
In Photobucket’s 14-year history, the Company amassed over 100 million registered users, over 15 billion images
stored, 2 million daily uploads and 10 billion photos accessed monthly.​

·
Registered
6,203 Posts
Tom

usually I just want to put a Pic in a current Thread/Post

Where/How would I transfer/or place my PB Pics on Team Chevelle Site

1 - 20 of 24 Posts