Team Chevelle banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need your help. I want you to help me determine how much to ask for it. I love the car, but I have a wife and 2 kids to support and it is becoming difficult to support them the way that they deserve to be supported, so I have to do what is right. Family is, and always will be, first in my life. So, here goes. It is:

67 Chevelle 300, all new energy suspension front end and poly bushings, new front and rear springs and shocks, manual stearing, power disk brakes, 10 bolt 8.2 posi that has complete rebuild with new posi unit and new 3.73 gears, TH350 in the car and also have a 200-4R as well, 383 sbc dynoed at about 400 HP, new floor, seats are there but need re-done, dash is in great shape but needs paint, both front fenders need patch behind wheel and both quarters are solid but need body work. I have all details of engine if you think that would help as well.

Again, this isn't really what I want to do, but I feal as if it is the right thing to do. So if you have any ideas what I should ask, let me know. Thanks for the help.

To see what the body looks like, check out the pics below. The car has 245/60's up front and 295/50's in back on corvette rally's.
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/nhecht01/chevelle1.jpg
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/nhecht01/chevelle2.jpg
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/nhecht01/chevelle3.jpg
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/nhecht01/chevelle4.jpg
http://web.tampabay.rr.com/nhecht01/chevelle5.jpg

The link will probably come up as not being authorized to view the pictures. When that shows up, highlight the link in the new browser and hit enter again. That should show it.

-Thanks,
Nathan

[This message has been edited by 67Sedan2dr (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
It is so much easier to sell a barely running slow car with a nice body/paint than it is to sell a good drivetrain having car with poor body/paint .

I'd really look into doing the needed body work before trying to sell it.

It's really hard to say without pictures....
[edit]-
I see you tossed up some pictures.
Do slap a paint job on it. Put a towel on the seat and stick a $7,800 price tag on it.

I would give around 6 for it, but with time you can recoop what you've put into it.
Good luck Nathan and have a merry christmass.

------------------
71' 3880# with me. Big Block 402, Merlin oval heads, 10.2:1CR, TH400, 3.73 posi,
1/8th: 8.0 @ 88mph
BEST 60': 1.85 w/street tires.
BEST 1/4: 12.5 with 1.89 sixty foot (street tires)
BEST MPH: 109mph

Picture of me roasting the tires and other guy stuff
Video of me staging (smoke of course)

[This message has been edited by BB_Mike (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
142 Posts
Man don't do it!The way it sounds you may regret it .If the car is payed for,cover it up.Let it sit for a while.I've worked at night on occasion to pay for some stuff(I've done electrical contruction by day and cooked pizzas or washed dishes at night)These old cars ain't gonna get any easier to find.Maybe in a few short months or years your whole family would enjoy helpin you out with that ole car. just my pennys worth.Good luck

------------------

·
Registered
983 Posts
Too bad you have to let it go. I have had good and bad financial times in the ten years plus that I have owned my chevelle, I even faced bankruptcy, but I managed to hold on to it. I had two kids to raise (I am a single parent) and it was tough. Most times the car just sat while I waited for the money. I found I could do cheap things like sand the chassis and paint it (can of spray paint: 2 bucks, four hours on your back in the driveway sanding and spraying: PRICELESS). As my sons grew into adolescence we worked on the car together. It was a great experience. Even when we were mad at each other and we couldn't talk about anything else, we could always talk about "the car." When they started to drive, my sons spent their money and time on their cars not drugs or alcohol. One son even got certified and became a mechanic at a Chevy dealer(Just think, discount parts!)... Anyway maybe you could just sell the engine (which is probably worth the most) and hold on to the rest until there is a time when you can finish it. My chevelle became the most important tool in keeping my family together, maybe yours could be too. In any case, best wishes for you and your family. Your priorities are admirable.

------------------
65 Danube Blue 4 door wagon, 350/330hp crate with 700R4, Factory air, Factory am/fm stereo.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I agree with the decision to sell the car for family reasons. I sold my first two street rods, a 65 mustang and a 66 mustang coupe in 1975 for the same reasons. 20 years later and a lot wiser I got a 68 Corvette which is now "fairly" done and I am well into the restification of the 69 SS chevelle. I can now afford to do it right and I did right with my wife and daughters. I even paid 100% for their BA's from PLU and UW. Just start planning now for what you want to do when you can finally afford to enjoy your hobby.

------------------
Redrum (or Mike)
68 Corvette - 383 CI 427 HP
69 SS Chevelle being updated to Pro-Touring
97 Z-28

[This message has been edited by Redrum (edited 12-12-2001).]

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
You have a toughy there - partially completed projects can be a difficult sale, and this time of year is not prime selling season.

No matter what, taking care of your family definitly comes first - so if you need to do a fire sale do so with pride.

Sometime down the road when the money situation is right you can rekindle your auto hobby.

Best wishes, Thomas

------------------
"Bomber" '67 El Camino, Beater comes back to life.
Was 350/TH350 14.90 @ 93mph, 360,000+ miles on car
Now 406 roller, 340rwhp, more hp coming, 3.08 gears
Street radials, left in drive, 13.20 [email protected] mph
8/1/01 added Plum Mist '67 to collection
*New* 468 on its way - going Big Block!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nathan, Sorry to hear of your dilemna. I hope this all pans out favorably for you and your family.
I can't say anymore than has already been said.
Good Luck my friend.

------------------
TC #364
Aces #4309
Jeff's 69

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Nathan,
The only problem with selling the car is that it will give you a one time infusion of funds and then when they're exhausted, you're back to square one. Only this time, you're still in debt AND you're without the Chevelle. If this isn't your daily driver, let it sit until you can get on your feet. A part time job will help more than selling the car. Unless you can get a fortune for the car and invest the proceeds into a fund with healthy returns, I'd think LONG and hard. If you let it sit so you don't divert "household" funds into it, it will still be there, waiting, when you get back on your feet. Just my .02 worth.

------------------
MalibuJerry350
TC Member #1279
Original owner '70 Chevelle.
560,000+ miles on car.
Hey, if it's got wheels, DRIVE IT!
My Chevelle: http://hometown.aol.com/erie614/myhomepage/index.html

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The money is only going to last so long,Then its back to being broke.Then your broke and you dont have your chevelle.Dont do it,get another job or something.Heck,sell the wifes car,lol.

Dern,i do it everytime,i post something,then i go back and read the one post that i didnt read before and i see i have repeated the same thing someone else has said.Oh well ,what WE said is true anyway.

[This message has been edited by supersport396_2000 (edited 12-13-2001).]

·
Registered
85 Posts
tell the wife and kids to move in with her mother. haha, sell the beast and when the kids are old enough to start liking cars, then you can stop buying em toys and then go get yourself an SS.

·
Registered
85 Posts
tell the wife and kids to move in with her mother.
haha, sell the beast and when the kids are old enough to start liking cars, then you can stop buying em toys and then go get yourself an SS.

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would put a 4 sale sign on the S-10 and keep the Chevelle. If you can try and keep the Chevelle, finding another one will be very difficult. In the years to come the car will always be worth what you have into it as long as you don't go overboard with the project. By keeping it you have nothing to loose and the car will always gain in value. Drive it and use it as you would a new car........it's much more fun to drive a classic every day than it is a fancy new or newer car. I know I drive a 67 Camaro every day. Sure it's pain in the ass in the rain, but I just slow down. Sure the heater does not work that great, but it get about 17 mpg. Keep it if you can.

Joe

·
Registered
127 Posts
I would put a 4 sale sign on the S-10 and keep the Chevelle. If you can try and keep the Chevelle, finding another one will be very difficult. In the years to come the car will always be worth what you have into it as long as you don't go overboard with the project. By keeping it you have nothing to loose and the car will always gain in value. Drive it and use it as you would a new car........it's much more fun to drive a classic every day than it is a fancy new or newer car. I know I drive a 67 Camaro every day. Sure it's pain in the ass in the rain, but I just slow down. Sure the heater does not work that great, but it get about 17 mpg. Keep it if you can.

Joe

·
Registered
336 Posts
i own 2 posts chevelles a 66 and a 67 the 67 i bought for around 3000 with no motor or trans all metal and paint work done with a real clean interior incorrect seats and no console i was happy with that price...if it had the drivetrain in it you have i would say it would have been worth double that if that helps you figure a price any,,honestly i myself would sell the drivetrain and keep the body you would probably get the same money in the end engines and transmission are easy to find and build ,but chevelles are getting harder to find ,,you can always play with the body a little at a time when funds are back up again.....

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I kinda had an idea this is how most of you would reply. Maybe that is why I posted in the first place.

The Chevelle is the daily driver. My wife has a nice car that she drives and I have that S-10 in the garage. The S-10 runs, but needs some tranny work. I guess I'll have to sit down and think about it some more.

-Nathan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.