Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am heading out to the track this Friday to test n tune before the event on Saturday. I will try some 275/60 15 drag radials to see if it will give me a better et . I will also have my 26" mt et streets to see what gets me the better et. I will be running in a 12.00-12.99 index class. My best time with the 26" mts gave me a 12.48 , with mph not supplied by our local track. Wish I new the mph , it would make a world of difference . There are several street cars in that class running very low 12 on the juice , so I want make my best passes without going faster than 12.00 . I know traction will suffer but in a way it's good since my 9" ford is not done yet and I don't want to grenade the 10 bolt . Any tips for getting a very low 12s et.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm running 4.10s , but as my best 60 ft time , the track doesn't supply any other info only the e.t. (I know , it sucks). :( Also I tried to get me some skinnies for the front but couldn't get them here in time. I will be running with a 245/50 16 tire up front. Timing is locked at 36 deg. Don't know if I should go with higher octane fuel or stay with 91 that's available here in this area.

·
Registered
667 Posts
I'm with Chaos on the small carb. Motor that size needs at least 1050 Dom. That said my combo is bit of a test rat with only a Holley 950hp with new 315AFR's coming soon. I on purpose going to run small carb to try and keep 10. sec or slower but if it goes into 9's then I start really pushing for more. Already have Pro Systems carb picked out for my application but not purchased yet. Also would change tire to at least 28 in back as your pushing revs on engine at the finish! Otherwise not bad combo at all! Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
IMHO you need to toss a bigger carb on there preferably a Dominator.

Good luck home to get all my parts in this weekend and take it to the track the next myself.

BTW you might go to the tower after your run, sometimes they can give you your incremental's even though they ticket doesn't print it.

Shawn

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. This place we race at here performs double duty. It's an airport strip /drag strip. At one point they provided the mph but stopped doing . Good luck on your track day.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'll be curious to see what you run - my 496 is similar, but the cam is a bit smaller and I am at 5000 feet (300 miles north of you in ABQ). I had hoped this would be an 11 sec 1/4 car, but I am wondering if 12 is more in the range.

At 4000 feet you are giving up almost 20% of your theoretical HP, which, ballpark, probably leaves you (and me) in the ~450-475 HP range.

·
Registered
78 Posts
With a 496 your going to be doing a 1320 foot burn out. Those drag radials and 26" slicks are going up in smoke. With my 505 before I had any sort of traction bars on my 69 camaro, I ran 12.00 frying the 28'' slick till I hit 2nd gear.

Added cal trac bars and went 11.10 first pass. Still spinning the tires, but not as far. With a little suspension tuning I expect 10.70's

Good luck trying to HOOK.

Ryan

1 - 20 of 23 Posts