Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well, I bought it. But it has NO key. Its from a 71 Monte Carlo. Its going in my 70 Chevelle. It is a tilt with no column shift :)
Is there a way to remove the ignition cylinder without a key?
Can it be re-keyed with the cylinder in the column?

How do I pop off the silver thing so I can get at the cylinder.
I paid $150

[This message has been edited by Bud70 (edited 01-21-2003).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I found this... (not sure if this is for chevelle / monte carlo)

Removing Lock Cylinder -

Lost Ignition Key-

If you do not have the ignition key, you will be unable to rotate the lock cylinder to the “run” position. Therefore, the metal spring tab that retains the lock cylinder will not be able to be depressed. Your only alternative is to destroy the lock cylinder to get it out of the housing. Replacement lock cylinders are readily available from GM dealers as well as most automotive supply stores.

Pop off the chrome piece where the key goes in. Then drill directly into the lock cylinder. Work the drill bit around in the hole until the springs and strips can be removed.
Now you should be able to turn the cylinder with a screwdriver into the “run” position. The spring tab can now be depressed and the cylinder removed from the housing.

There is an alternate method to remove a malfunctioning lock cylinder that I do not approve. Some people screw a slam-puller into the lock cylinder and slam it out of the column (usually shearing the spring tab.) It is very hard on the column housing and your instrument panel.

[This message has been edited by Bud70 (edited 01-23-2003).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, I finnally got the cylinder out :)

I would like to re-key the cylinder to the door key. Anyone know how?

[This message has been edited by Bud70 (edited 01-24-2003).]

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a friend who has been a locksmith for 28 years and he rekeyed my entire car to the original key. I am more than willing to have you send it to his shop.

------------------
ACES Member #2987
1972 Chevelle SS
1987 GTA
1998 Camaro SS (Y2Y)
1978 Pontiac TransAm

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
Can't tell where you are from by your profile.

In calif most Junkyards have someone on the premises that can do the work you want. They overhaul all steering columns & ignition key problems

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, well my local locksmith down the street will sell me a new clyinder, rekeyed to my door key, for $15 total

1 - 6 of 6 Posts