Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 68 has a 468 that is using oil. The previous owner, who had the engine built, said it never burned any oil when he had. He is a true old friend and ultra honest guy. I trust what he says about the engine's past.

The engine has TRW forged 9.5:1 pistons, chrome rings, Harland Sharp roller rockers, solid lifters, Lunati medium cam, forged crank, etc. It has about 9000 miles on it since it was built in about 1992. The owner didn't drive it for the 2 years before I bought it, but he says he used to start the engine in his garage every once in a while to keep things lubed. He drove it for a thousand or so miles with conventional oil, then switched to 20-50 synthetic Amsoil for the 8000 miles before I bought it. I am using (and I mean USING) 15-50 Mobil 1. He ran the engine at about 170 degrees, I have it stat'ed to run 195. It is a waaaay strong motor.

We just did a longer drive, about 220 miles highway and 30 cruising around town, all mellow driving. I got home and saw that the engine had gulped a quart of oil.

I do get a puff of smoke when starting, but nothing obnoxious. I was following it in another vehicle, and there is no noticeable exhaust smoke.

Sooooo........what happened from the time the guy ran it and it didn't burn oil, until it sat for a few years and I bought it? Could the rings have gummed or something like that? Would Marvel Mystery Oil free them up?. I have done probably 15 full throttle, 6000 rpm blasts up the on-ramps, but that surely couldn't eat the engine that fast, could it???

Check out http://members.aol.com/kengibbons/auto/index.htm It's really embarrassing for a car like this to "huff" (Utah vernacular for burn oil).

Any thoughts? Thanks!

[This message has been edited by gibbons (edited 07-04-99).]

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,266 Posts
what kind of valve covers does it have? Are there baffles under the PCV? BB's are well known for burning oil through the PCV. Also, you might want to check to see if you have the proper PCV. I believe BB PCV's have a small orifice size. I've been known to stuff a #49 Holley jet up the PCV hose to cut down on the volume of air.

Have you snugged up the intake manifold bolts?

Checked for leaks around the distributor? Is there an oil pressure sending unit down by the oil filter? Sometimes these leak.

Tom (I'd try using conventional oil before doing anything drastic. On the downside, I've never had much luck with chrome rings, don't understand why anybody would use the things.)

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tom, thanks for the reply! The valve covers are tall chromed units with "Chevrolet" embossed on the tops. They don't have any baffles the I can see or feel with my fingers around the PCV or oil filler holes. The edge of the hole for the PCV is about on the centerline of an exhaust valve. The PCV is identified with "V178" on the side. So, the oil could be splashing on the PCV valve and sucking into the carb? Cool. Hope that's it...then I just buy different valve covers? Which size/type of PCV do I really want?

Back to chrome rings, could they simply be not broken in yet, and switch to coventional for a while? But that wouldn't jive with his word that it didn't burn oil before...

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
You might not have to change valve covers. My Moroso's have non-baffled holes but are fitted with a rubber? baffle that is pushed into the hole. The PCV plugs into that. I don't know who makes them, it was on the car when I bought it.

<A little later> Moroso sells these baffles, $6.99 for 2 from Jegs. Moroso's part number 68770.

------------------
Pat Kelley
66 & 67 El Caminos

[This message has been edited by Pat Kelley (edited 07-04-99).]

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have been told you should not use synthetic oil until a engine is well broke in, that oil won't let the rings seat. Try Valoline 20-50 Racing.

------------------
ACES #2637
TEAM CHEVELLE #69

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.