Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a add for a system that replaces yor points and keeps your distributor looking stock. Its called the ignitor has any one intalled this unit and how well does it work, the add they have it headlined GO FAST LOOK STOCK! they also have a stock looking coil and plug wires to go with the system any comments on this would be helpful. also any installation tips.[The add was in the latest car craft issue]

·
Administrator
16,196 Posts
Luke, I also saw the ad and it is for the Petronix brand electronic upgrade. This has been discussed in length and the it seems to be a good unit. Try running a search and read the previous posts.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have a fleet that includes about 10 chevy pickups that had points. Put in the ignitors and they have been trouble free. I also have about 40 old farm tractors of different makes and I put the ignitors in. No problems in the 5 or so years that I have ran them.

·
Registered
171 Posts
This is the best thing since sliced bread! Go for it!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to pick
the complete system up and try it out.

Luke

------------------

·
Registered
777 Posts
Luke,
Summit ( http://www.summitracing.com ) sells this unit for about $70. Probably one of the best $70 investments you'll make in your car. Simple, easy to follow instructions. Though, in the instructions it tells you to notch the window on your cap and feed the wires through there. Use a very small drill bit and make a little slice in the grommet, that is at the bottom of the distributor, and feed the wires through there. It's much simpler and looks a WHOLE lot nicer. Trust me, it'll work. And no more dwell/gap playing! Good Luck!
Fred

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One more question how does this change affect the curve? I had my distributor spun and had the springs set so all my timming was in by 3000 rpm

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Luke,
No effect on your curve. There is only 2 wires that come through the rubber grommet at the base of the distributor. One is black like the original black wire which still goes to the - side of the coil, the other is red which goes to the + side of the coil. I have installed many of these units on friends and customers cars and I have them on all my cars and my jet boat. Easy to install, retain stock looks and never mess with points again.

------------------

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.