Chevelles.com banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have got an ignitor II for my dist. The directions says that it should be hooked up to full 12V. I plan to run a wire into car for that. But I'm curious as to what would happen if I leave my resistor wire (new harness hooked up to the coil as well. Is this possible?

Does the original Ignitor also require 12V or does it hookup to the coil with the Resistor as well.

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
JODY'S 71 or Peach State Chevelles

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I have one on my Vette. Full +12V to the Igniter module, resistor on the + coil post. They are 2 different things. The igniter module has circuitry that needs +12 to operate, the coil is your normal circuit, resistor for "RUN" and a wire to the start ciucuit for full voltage during "START". I used new wire for all, along with the correct resistor mounted on the firewall.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Jody
What does it say after you remove the resistor wire? Are you then supposed to install a "normal" copper wire? That would make sense.

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
Think of it as two separate circuits. One, switched +12VDC and Gnd for the Ignitor Module to operate, the other for the coil. For the coil it depends on whether you have one with an internal resistor or are using one that needs an external resistor. Then you wire the coil the correct way for what you have, including the wire to the starter. The ignitor is a "stand alone" circuit that triggers your coil.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just off the phone with Marvin @ Pertronix Support. Here is the scoop. IGNITOR & IGNITOR II both will run with less than 12 volts. All the way down to 7volts. He said once it is on... its on.. no matter as long as you have the (7-12v) it will work. The reason for the change in the instructions was to decrease the number of trouble calls they were receiving. Mostly dealing with the resistance wire. The answer to my question of can I hook up the resistor stuff for the starter and the wire to the fuseblock is yes you can. and everything will work fine.

------------------
Jody Sirmans
71 SS454
ACES
JODY'S 71 or Peach State Chevelles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts