Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm planning on replacing ALL the wiring involved in the engine firing process.

This comes about after someone let their Dad "take a look" at my car while it was being stored in their garage for the weekend. It worked when I left, now it doesn't.

I'm replacing the ignition switch for a pushbutton and a kill switch, the negative cable is new. I need a new positive cable, and whatever other wires from the ignition to coil, and starter to ignition.

How does everything hook together?

I'm not sure as I've never hooked it up before personally. I thought...

one wire: ignition to coil
one wire: ignition to starter
one wire: along positive cable to starter that
ties in with wire from ignition to
starter.
what wire: is the one coming off my new negative cable? I got it out of Summit, it's the steel braided one for around 20 bucks.

Do I need a balast resistor in-between the ignition and coil?

Where do I hook up the kill switch? Between the positive feed from the battery that ties to the line from the ignition to the starter?

Am I completely lost?

·
Gold Founding Member
63,038 Posts
Originally posted by JakeS:
Am I completely lost?
I think you must be

I can't rember, do you have HEI ?

Do you mean you are planning on replacing the ignition switch with a toggle switch and a push button ?

why don't you just get a new ignition switch?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just like that whole "race car" feel. I want to find some way to put in a keyed interupt in the line, for added security. I'm pretty confident no one will be able to find the kill switch. Or the starter button for that matter.

I do have HEI.

And I've removed my homage to Dazed and Confused, although that is how I spend most of my time....

mostly confused though.

·
Gold Founding Member
63,038 Posts
Thanks for the sig change Jake, makes my job easier (less email from complainers)

Should be a pretty simple to do;
hot switched(hidden) feed wire to BAT terminal on distributor

hot switched feed wire (PB) to starter "S" terminal

Not sure, maybe John or someone can answer but I think there might be a negative switched feed wire from the ignition too

Or you could use a relay to replace all the ingition functions and use a switched (hidden)negative feed wire to energize the relay

Also you might want a second hidden SPST switch with negative feed wire to negative side of coil to prevent the car from starting when "ON" ??

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have an in cap coil, so the negative side of the coil is ground in the cap. The only other plug is to the tach.

So, put a hot wire from the positive terminal to the S location on the starter, then to the ignition, and the other plug from the push button to the coil.

Then run a wire from the small wire on my negative cable to the negative hook up on the starter.

I can put a kill switch anywhere in the negative line, or can I put a second one on the "hot" wire?

I'd like two kill switches, one as a "dummy" that works but is meant to make would be theives think they have found the switch.

Also, the starter button is going to be hidden. The keyed ignition will still be in the stock place for that "this is where the key goes" look.

Dean, e mail me and I'll tell you my plans for hiding everything. You drive too slow to get away with anything. :D ;)

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
“So, put a hot wire from the positive terminal to the S location on the starter, then to the ignition, and the other plug from the push button to the coil.”

The positive terminal of the coil? Or the battery positive terminal? You don’t want to tie those to the “S” terminal. .

“Then run a wire from the small wire on my negative cable to the negative hook up on the starter.”

Not sure what a negative hook up is. The starter needs a large cable to work.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The large positive cable goes to the starter along with a small "hot" wire that goes to the the starter. I don't know where. The large negative goes to the alternator bracket, and the small wire goes to nothing right now.

Is there something that it's supposed to hook up to.

Right now there are 4 wires coming off the ignition switch. One goes to the starter. The other goes to the coil @ the BATT hook up.

Do I need to another wire from or to the starter?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So, it's just a ground?

What are the other two wires coming off the ignition? Are they to the fuse box?

Should I tie them in after the ignition and before the coil?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Perhaps pick up a schematic or the assembly manual for the car. It will show you where the wires go. It almost sounds like you want to remove the existing ignition switch and replace it with 1 pushbutton switch. It can't be done. The ignition switch has 4 basic switches inside.
1 to START the car.
1 to operate items in the ON position
1 to operate items in the ON and ACC position.
1 to ground the TEMP circuit.
All of these need to be handled seperately.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I was planning a keyed accessory drive with the push button for starting purposes only. This is the only function that will not be performed by the keyed switch. I was planning two kill switches and hiding the actual starter button, so that a theif would think the battery was dead. I've replaced the original ignition today, and opened the spaces for the start button.

Why did my battery die? I recently replaced the alternator pigtail. I hooked the original black to the black on the new tail and the original red to the new blue wire. I this correct? Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Have you checked the output of the alternator at idle? Should have about 13.5 to 14.5 volts to ground.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
which wire do I check with the voltmeter, the ring with the rubber boot over it, or the red to blue connection?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by JakeS:
planning a keyed accessory drive with the push button for starting purposes only.
Do I put the push button in a loop from the keyed ignition to whereever it needs to go. Where should I put it in? Between which wires?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The alternator output is the large red wire on the rear of the alternator. I'm just sort of a fix-it kind of guy. Not big into mods. Still think you should get a schematic and plan this project through before you miswire something.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's pretty "modified" my view already. I'm not planning on an original restoration, and nothing is being cut up so that it couldn't be. I just want the added security until I can put a nice alarm system into it. For that I'd want to put in a new fuse box assembly with some extra spaces.

But before I get ahead of myself, would the wire from the S on the ignition be the one to loop in the push button on it's way to the S on the starter?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
The wire to the solenoid "S" terminal engages the solenoid/starter and turns the engine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
so loop the button from the wire that would go to the S and tie it in to the wire going to the terminal marked batt. on the ignition?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts